CPU cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's 55C at full load running Prime95? If that is correct then your good to go :thumbsup:

What are your idle temperatures? Low 30's?

That's 55C at full load running Prime95? If that is correct then your good to go :thumbsup:

What are your idle temperatures? Low 30's?

yes sir, now I am running around 60 full load at 3.6 ghz

anything more and I blue screen lol, I am not very good at this yet though so we will see what happens.

cpuz.png

cpuid.png

You can probably do better than that, you have a 940 and I have a 930 and I'm running much faster (though your timings are better than mine, need to adjust as I have the same memory as you). I have my 930 at 4103MHz using a 216MHz bus speed and 19x multiplier.

I've read that lowering the multiplier can help and it certainly did in my case, I tried 22, 21, and 20x but 19 worked better to get over 4GHz stable. At 21x I could get 3.8 before crashing and my RAM was running unstable too.

The big issue is voltage. Voltage really makes the difference in stability. My 930 is running 1.296 VCore and 1.31-1.32 QPI at least in the BIOS. It gets around 65C in LinX, hovers at 58-60 in Folding@Home using an H50 water cooling unit with push-pull 75CFM fans. Your CPU-Z shot doesn't show the CPU core voltage which means your motherboard may not support voltage modification. If it doesn't, your overclocking potential is limited. I'm using a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R and it has several voltage settings you can adjust to fine tune your overclock.

The other thing is you have a C Stepping processor while I have a D0. Apparently this makes a difference in overclocking, the D0 chips can overclock farther at a lower voltage. I don't know much about this as I just got into i7 overclocking with my new 930.

When it blue screens what is the error message and the error code?

it was late and I was just messing around so I did not write them down I will get back to you with more detail later, but it was something the along the lines of a cpu core failure, I think... I was more interested in seeing what the heat looked like though hehe.

and the MB supports changing core voltage although I have yet to figure out why cpuz does not show voltage maybe its because I just had it set at default (dynamic)

ok here we go, it says a clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time. and the stop code is 0x00000101 (0x000000000000019, 0x00000000000000000, 0xfffff88002f64180, 0x0000000000000002)

for a 0x00000101 stop code you need to bump your CPU VCore up a notch or 2 :thumbsup:

Stepped it up from 1.17 up to 1.32 still no luck, did more research seems like this 3.7 line where I seem to be stuck at is very common with the 940 in this MB.

What is your QPI voltage? The QPI voltage can have a significant effect on overclocking just as much as the core voltage. Also if your chip is a C0 model those are said to need more vcore for high overclocks.

Also, did you try lowering the multiplier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom