help using EVGA Precision

Status
Not open for further replies.
With you having a board out of a prebuilt/prebuilt computer you are basically screwed as far as overclocking goes, mate.

Is your copy of Win7 a retail copy? If so, it would be a better idea to see about scratching up enough to buy a new mobo. If you could get together enough to get a mobo and graphics card it would be awesome, but your power supply will be the limiting factor for what you can drop in your rig.

Either of these would be an improvement for you:
Newegg.com - Foxconn A74ML-K AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 740G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Newegg.com - ASRock N68-S UCC AM3/AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

I recommend this over either of those two.

Newegg.com - ASRock N68C-S UCC AM3/AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Not only does it support 6-core Phenom chips, and UCC (marketed as able to unlock cpu cores), but it also has DDR2 AND DDR3 memory slots. Which would help future-proof things a bit.

If he pairs this with a cheap Athlon II x2 240 for $50ish, he'll only be drawing around 65w at load, and that will leave plenty of room for a decent video card even with a cheap power supply.

EDIT: Also, it just hit Newegg like a day or two ago. It's brand new.

ok. Lets say I go the route of upgrading.

What would I need to do to my current comp to make that work? Can I change my mobo, processor, and video card while keeping my other hardware?
I was trying to take baby steps since im new to this, and ultimately I wanted to build my own rig but if i can slowly upgrade this one over time that would work too.

Oh and my windows 7 came preinstalled

I like all the options from trotter and rich but maybe putting a price can help steer you guys in a better direction. can u all give me some options for mobo, processor, video card, and ram for around $350?
I can't find my power supply info I looked everywhere on my comp. I would rather keep that stock if i can still get what I need.

I don't need a super computer. I am a light gamer but I would like to occasionally play modern games , and my biggest loads are from my drafting and design programs, and multimedia

Thanks all

p.s. I would like to keep it AMD processor

You can change your mobo, ram. processor and get a new graphics card without changing anything else. Easily that can come out to less than 350 just depends I'm not good with choosing the best parts so I'll let some of these guys do it.
Your power supply isn't going to show on your computer you have to physically open the case and look.
I apologize I've lead you on a bit of a goose chase but I was avoiding an upgrade but if you have the means I suggest it.

I was trying to avoid upgrading my hardware. But I seem to be running out of options to get better performance. Don't go far Abstract....you will be needed again lol

Also since I am keeping my hard drive I have now I won't need to worry about my OS or my files on there, right?

I was trying to avoid upgrading my hardware. But I seem to be running out of options to get better performance. Don't go far Abstract....you will be needed again lol

Also since I am keeping my hard drive I have now I won't need to worry about my OS or my files on there, right?

HAHA gotcha I'll keep my eye on you.:thumbsup:

You shouldn't need an os install but it's possible but you should have a recovery disk that came with your computer?

If it is OEM a restore disk won't help.

I recommend this over either of those two.

Newegg.com - ASRock N68C-S UCC AM3/AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Not only does it support 6-core Phenom chips, and UCC (marketed as able to unlock cpu cores), but it also has DDR2 AND DDR3 memory slots. Which would help future-proof things a bit.

If he pairs this with a cheap Athlon II x2 240 for $50ish, he'll only be drawing around 65w at load, and that will leave plenty of room for a decent video card even with a cheap power supply.

EDIT: Also, it just hit Newegg like a day or two ago. It's brand new.

Neat idea, but hybrid boards aren't worth it. Either an AM3 board or an AM2/AM2+/AM3 board would be best. That way he would have the full bank of DIMM slots to populate.

Besides, I would recommend going with an AMD chipset instead of Nvidia. Nvidia used to be tops for AMD but not anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom