Gaming Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Rogue_Ninja

Baseband Member
I'm in the market to purchase a new 15" gaming laptop to replace my, no joke, Gateway 7405GX which lasted me 6 good years. :tongue:

Initially, I looked at Alienware's m15x and I found that many people have complaints about overheating, cheap monitor hinges, and terrible customer support. Critical review sites, such as CNET, notebookreviews.com, laptopmag.com, tested.com, kotaku.com, and notebookcheck.com, however, all give the Alienware m15x great review scores. So I'm on the fence about purchasing it. What do you guys think?

One more thing: I know the GTX 260m, which is the max GPU in the Alienware m15x, has been outperformed by the GTX 480m. Is there a good laptop manufacturer who features this graphics card in their product?

Thanks for your help!

The_Rogue_Ninja

price range for laptop? around 2000$ considering the alienwares base price i bet.

Currently no laptops have the 480m yet, and personally i would go with a lappy with dual 460ms also check out widowpc.com they have custom laptops and are built with way better quality then alienware. You can choose from prebuilt ones they have or configure your own setup.

My bad check out sager they have nice laptops too and can customize aswell. AND heres one shipping with the 480m but only comes in 17 inch screen-
http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_info&model_name=NP8850

NP8850
Advantages • Latest Intel® Core™ i7 Mobile Processor / Extreme Edition capable • New NV GeForce GTX 480M GPU with 2GB GDDR5 Memory • USB 3.0 Port for ultra high speed data transfer • Multi Hard Drives with RAID - Up to 1.2TB

Unit Total: $2,149.00

Thanks for the reply, hmammen!

I like Sager as well, especially since they offer the GTX 285. I couldn't find windowpc.com, however, so maybe you can send me a link?

Also, I was wondering if it possible to install a slot-loading blu-ray drive to the laptop after I purchase it? I do not like ejection disc trays at all, and Sager does not offer a slot-loading drive, unfortunately.

Thanks a lot for the link! I like the wide selection that WidowPC offers. Between them, Sager, and other laptop manufacturers, I am better equipped with Alienware alternatives.

Thanks for your help!

The_Rogue_Ninja

I'm in the market to purchase a new 15" gaming laptop to replace my, no joke, Gateway 7405GX which lasted me 6 good years. :tongue:

Initially, I looked at Alienware's m15x and I found that many people have complaints about overheating, cheap monitor hinges, and terrible customer support. Critical review sites, such as CNET, notebookreviews.com, laptopmag.com, tested.com, kotaku.com, and notebookcheck.com, however, all give the Alienware m15x great review scores. So I'm on the fence about purchasing it. What do you guys think?

One more thing: I know the GTX 260m, which is the max GPU in the Alienware m15x, has been outperformed by the GTX 480m. Is there a good laptop manufacturer who features this graphics card in their product?

Thanks for your help!

The_Rogue_Ninja
you confused the area 51 m15x and the M15x
the new M15 sold by dell don't have issue with the overheating or hinges also efectively the 260m is just not cuting it but even if it's the higher prices card availible for the M15x it's not the most powerfull the most powerfull is the 5850 (or you can fit the 5870 if you buy it apart)

Hey OP check this one out:

Toshiba Satellite® A665-S6065 Laptops

With bing cash back your'e looking at 750-800$ for the i7 core and a 330M geforce vid card. Its 16" but thats kinda close to 15". Do any of you guys think this setup, with 4GB ram, will be able to run games on high settings (SMOOTHLY)? I know the vid card is weak nowadays but I can't find any decently priced gaming models with good CPUs like this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom