Gaming Computer Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcook423

Beta member
Hello all, I'm new to the forums and looking for advice on computer hardware. I play WoW (World Of Warcraft) which is very intensive on systems so I've decided to build a new gaming computer that can keep up.

What I'm looking for is:

Mother board: Has at least 2 pci-e slots, few pci slots, Ethernet port, 4-6 RAM slots, USB 3.0 would be nice, and compatible with SSD.

Side note: I was looking at the Intel i7-960 CPU but from what i was reading your better off buying a 930 or 920 and overclocking, is this accurate?

Cooling System: Water cooling preferably, I'm aware that some go to only CPU and others go to CPU and GPU; I would like it to go to both if possible.

GPU: Would like to link 2 of them in the 2 pci-e's

Harddrive: Solid State Drive 120GB

Case: planning on water cooling, so something that is compatible. Transparency is a plus.

Power Supply: Was thinking 1,000.

RAM: I can figure out once i have the board figured out.

CD/DVD drives: don't really care will probably buy cheapo's

Any recommendations on brands or specific hardware/items would be great, please and thank you
P.S. Budget ISN'T an issue.

when you say " budget ISNT an issue "... that doesnt really help us at all.. i can build you a computer that will stomp on WoW for $1700... but i can easilly put together a build thats over $7000

If money really isn't an issue I'd like to introduce you to the EVGA SR-2 Classified. :tongue:

I wouldn't necessarily call WoW intensive considering my girlfriends Pentium 4 ran it on high when she played.
You just want something pretty capable of gaming and future proof right?

Happy 800 sean lol

If money really isn't an issue I'd like to introduce you to the EVGA SR-2 Classified. :tongue:

I wouldn't necessarily call WoW intensive considering my girlfriends Pentium 4 ran it on high when she played.
You just want something pretty capable of gaming and future proof right?

Happy 800 sean lol

I say "budget ISNT an issue" because i didn't want people's first response being how much can you spend; my current setup is an old Pentium D 830, NVIDIA GeForce GT 240, XP OS 32bit with 4gb of ram (which obviously the system cant even fully utilize) and it cant handle 25 man heroic without dropping to like 5fps.

Mainly i wanted recommendations on a motherboard that i could build the rest of the system around. In short, yes, i was looking for a rather capable gaming computer that would last a bit.

P.S. I had actually glanced at that mobo lol.

trying to decide between

Newegg.com - EVGA 015-P3-1482-AR GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi) SuperClocked 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

and

Newegg.com - ASUS ROG MATRIX 5870 P/2DIS/2GD5 Radeon HD 5870 Platinum 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

The Radeon has a faster core clock, more memory, and more processor units but less effective memory clock....in addition it doesn't have any speed listed for the shader clock, does this mean it doesn't have 1? also it has a 2.1 pci-e and I'm not sure if my board supports it.

The Geforce supposedly overheats really easy on air cooling

my board: Newegg.com - ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Trying to figure out which of these 2 I should duel, any suggestions?

get the 1 gig 5870, you wont see any difference in performance with 2 gigs...

or if you want to be big dog, save a bit more or move funds around and get a 5970 ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom