AMD vs. Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraph

In Runtime
What is the difference between AMD and Intel?

I don't have a clue.

I am planning on getting a AMD 3400+ .......it's only 2.2ghz......so what makes it run so much faster than Intel?

I have always heard that AMD is faster than Intel CPU's.

Sorry for the newbie question....but thats what I am when it comes to hardware.

"BoredMan Lugs..."

All i've heard is that AMD's have 64bit CPU's, while Intel is still trying to push 32bit. Other than that, i don't understand why people say one is better than the outher. :confused: :cool:

Guess what....its

groundhog.jpg

Anyway, AMD has shorter pipeline archetecture making it better for gaming plus they are 64-bit. Intel and its hyperthreading technology works well with applications like Photoshop and 3ds Max. So its all based on what you are using your computer for.

AMD Does more instruction cycles per clock than intel. So that's why a 2.2GHz can get done more. Your 3400+ means it can basically run around a 3.4GHz Intel machine.

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30574

look at the image I posted there and look at my CPU scores compared to the ones below it. I was running at 2.7GHz and it beat out the Intels in some parts. Just to give you an idea

I'm still suprised at how much faster the AMD64 2200+ is compared to my machine at school, which is a 2.4GHz Intel.

yeah man the AMD64 blows the 2.4GHs intel completely away. That's not even a comparable contest really

Q: :confused:

The AMD64 CPU's support 64bit OS and programs.....without a 64bit OS the 64bit support is useless right? I mean, when using WindowsXP 32bit OS there is no performance diference between the AMD64 3000+ and the Athlon 3000+?

( Please correct me if I am wrong :) )

AMD suped up their 64-bit chips, so comparing a Athlon XP 3000+ to an Athlon 64 3000+ is like comparing a 9800 Pro to a 6800 GT.

AMD is very hot in the market right now. AMD does its work differently from Intel. Like Nubius said, AMD does more work in a cycle. Which is why they are very good for gaming. However, from what I know Intel processors has much more power, 3.4 ghz is more powerful than an AMD 2.4 ghz (We are talking about only the vibrations here, not about how they do their work), which is why Intel is more prefereable in like workstations and business.

In my opinion, AMD processors will cost more than Intel in a few years, due to the high demands. I have never seen intel processors sold out in newegg faster than amd. But, yeah I think AMD is heading toward that direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom