Building budget gaming rig, need feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trotter:

I know you're a big name here at Tech Forums. I have seen you around for quite a few years.

Unfortunately for you I think you're wrong this time. The items you picked are nice, but that 4670 was the WRONG choice.

4670 = 3870 roughly, which is HALF as fast as 4870.

However,
Newegg.com - ASUS EAH5750 FORMULA/2DI/1GD5/A Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Is almost exactly as fast as a 4870, it's 114 after MIR, and it has DX 11 support.

I think this is a better deal.

Yes, it is a good deal... but it would blow the budget. "My main goal was to stay on the lower end of 400$"

The $120 for CPU and GFX card would become 62 + 135 (before rebate as it is not instant) = $197. $77 more dollars would push the total over $500.

Plus the Asus only has a three year warranty while the XFX has a lifetime warranty.

I was going to buy a seperate psu / case / vid card from newegg but the shipping was astronomical in comparison. I didn't realize that pcu came with a fan, I changed that out when I decided to get the ASUS motherboard over the Biostar for quality reasons. Also had to pick out a new pcu. The psu's we're a pick between a 450w oem or a diablotek 600w, I picked the lifetime warranty one, seemed like a better investment. I was a little impatient for my first build but im happy with it.

I've read both bad and good reviews on the card, as long as I don't have to replace the gpu fan it's gonna work perfectly for what I need it for, I can always upgrade my video card, this is just to get me started. I also chose the Kingston ram over corsair, for the simple fact of compatibility, I learned everything I know about compatibility putting this computer together, so I wasn't to confident with it.

The cpu/mobo, ram, and gpu are all overclockable, spent a little more on a case I could put a better cooling system, cpu is overclockable to 3.0-3.1 very safely, ram to 1033 mhz ( not sure mobo runs that with full compatibility, says it does, but reviews say otherwise ).

Although I wish I would have seen your advice before I ordered, but patience isn't a strong suit with me, wanted to this for a while since my computer died years ago and never had a decent one since. The newegg shipping would have cost me 40-50$ more alone, which I really dont have at the moment.

Way I look at it, I got a Solid cpu, I don't need tri/quad-core, I doubt dual core will be under much stress. Solid ram and solid video card ( Better than onboard and for 47$ I can't really argue with that ) For cheap

You're right. I neglected to consider the fact that you were linking a combo and not just a video card. :) I guess you had it right to begin with. The 4670 isn't a bad choice given his budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom