pc base unit help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooleddy4

In Runtime
hi, i am thinking about buying this base unit from Dixons. It is a Packard Bell IMEDIA 3032 INTEL CELERON 2.7GHZ.

here is the link:

http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/sto...sku=485692&category_oid=-21710&fm=1&sm=0&tm=1

But, i dont really know what a base unit it. Could someone please answer these questions:

-Is a base unit the main computer, just without a monitor?
-I have a standard monitor, will it work with that?
-Does anyone know how many bays there are on the front? because i can only see the cd drive and no empty bays.

thanks, from Edward (eddstanley@hotmail.com)

It appears that your link is not functioning. And yes, a base unit is without monitor. Unless they say it comes with one, it won't. Same applies for keyboard. And your monitor should work, as long as it is not really old. Get the link working or post your pic here in a post and we'll have look.

ok, heres the link again and a pic if it dont work...

do you know why base units are so much cheaper than packages?

and i have 1 more question:

my monitor gets its power from my current pc (does'nt plug into mains), so there are 2 sockets on the back of my pc, 1 for computer mains and 1 for monitor.....will it be the same for the base unit?

If there's only one socket, just for the pc's mains, what do i do?

thanks

dont worry..i found about 3 or 4 old monitor cables that plug in2 mains and they work, so ill just 1 of them if i need to.

edd

so...what do you think about this computer? Is it ok for doing normal tasks and maybe playing a few games etc...? and for playing music and dvd's? what are the graphics like?

here's the specs:

Processor Type - Intel Celeron
Processor speed - 2700 mhz
RAM Memory - 256 mb
Hard Disk Capacity - 40 Gb
Drives Fitted - CDRW
Graphics card memory - 64 shared mb
Graphics Description - SIS 651GX 3D Graphic
Operating system - XP Home
Modem - Yes
No of USB connections - 4
No of PCI Slots - 3
No of Firewire Sockets - 0
Sound Card - Stereo
Speakers Included - Yes
TV Tuner - No
Graphics port - 4x
3D accelerator graphics - Yes
Keyboard - Yes
Mouse - Yes

thanks, from edd

please..can someone tell me if the computer is ok and if the graphics and processor are alright?

and what is "64 shared mb" and "SIS 651GX 3D Graphic" for the graphics card?

thanks

any onboard graphics with shared memory is going to sucks and not play any newer game out there. you would at least need a geforce 5200 to play even the older games. now, i know that ATI's low level cards stomp the low level nVidia's but i am an nVidia fan and i would suggest at least a 5700 or better if you want to play games that are newer, and that won't even play the new games at good rates and speeds.

is the computer upgradable, or is it propritary? i see that the graphics port is 4x, and most of the newer cards you can get are 8x, but don't worry, most of them are backwards compatible.

also, i would not get a celeron proccessor just because they are so slow, even if the clock cycles seem good. they have small cache, which slows it down. i would go for a bigger harddrive if you collect MP3's, movies and games, at least an 80gig if not more. 256 memory i think is totally awful, at least 512 should be good. i have nothing less than 768 (a 512 and 256) even in my older computers, and a gig in my current one.

i would check to see if it includes a nic card or a LAN connection, which would be needed if you want to connect to a cable or dsl modem or a home network.

to tell you the truth, i would save my money and get a whole different computer. LOL.

well...at the moment im using a 350Mhz pc which is very slow compared to a 2.7Gb and i dont play that many games at all, but would like to play a few older ones. 40GB is fine 4 me and my ram at the moment is 192, so 256 seems ok to me. And the grahics card must be better than the one i have now, becuase its a brand new pc. so i think it's ok for what i want to do, but just want to know if it seems ok to you as a standard pc (not for gaming etc..)

form edd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom