Bottlenecks if i upgrade to a gtx 460?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizzardxexe

In Runtime
hey all,
I am a gamer on a budget, but I've come into some cash recently and I want to splurge a little, and get a gtx 460, but I'm wondering if I'll have bottlenecks or not, as my system is about 2 years old and amd :cry:

specs:
2.7ghz amd 7750 black edition processor not oced.
4x1gb ddr2 800mhz ram ( heard from two different people that it is bad to fill your ram slots, but better bacause its faster slightly?)
500gb 7200rpm hdd
9800gt from... xfx i think.
790gx amd mobo from biostar, that is am2+ and said its am3 ready.
500w 28a psu that's still going strong.
1920x1080 aoc monitor
windows 7
So yeah my questions are: What bottlenecks will I have in upgrading my 9800gt to a gtx 460?What performance increases will I see? Is it worth the upgrade, or should i wait? I would like to upgrade, but obviously this system is still fine for playing games at high settings.

Im also looking at possibly upgrading my cpu, but I don't know if it is worth it or not. suggestions? Also, what performance differences are there of having ddr3 ram vs ddr2, what does it do real world?

Thank you!
S

probably a bit of bottleneck yes, how much? I really can't tell.

if the 9800gt still plays the games at the high settings, I'd just save the money for now, until it struggles with the newest games.

If I were you I'd upgrade that memory/motherboard/processor

This is what I recommend

CPU: Athlon II x2 240
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor ADX240OCK23GQ - Processors - Desktops
This thing uses very little power, and will overclock to 3.5ghz almost out of the box with very little effort. You might get lucky with a good chip and push 3.7ish on air, but you can bank on 3.5ghz.
Also, you can use your current CPU cooler for it, just get some TX-2 paste.

Motherboard: Biostara785G3
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR A785G3 AM3 AMD 785G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
I've heard nothing but good things about this being an inexpensive motherboard with some good features. It supports DDR3, and has ACC (which can potentially unlock CPU cores.

Memory: Giel 4gb (2x2gb) DDR3
Newegg.com - GeIL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10660) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model GV34GB1333C9DC
It's cheap, it's DDR3, and it works. It won't overclock very far, and the memory timings aren't the best, but it will be a **** of an upgrade from what you're currently using.

Total with shipping and tax included: $220.64

This is almost exactly what you were going to spend on that GTX 460, and I believe that you'll see more of a performance benefit. Not to mention you'll have room for upgrades later. If you want to upgrade memory, processor, or video you won't have to worry about that old motherboard.

EDIT:

To answer your question about DDR2 vs DDR3. I don't know intimate details but I know that DDR3 will support much higher frequency (mhz). This means that the ram is going to run faster, and have more memory bandwidth. This could lead to substantially better performance in demanding games.

Here's a good explanation of memory timings and frequency: http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=160

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom