Advice for a first time builder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Njord

Baseband Member
This will be my first build and I'm looking for advice on if the parts i selected are compatible (from what i know they are). Also if the performance output of this build is decent For gaming as well video editing. Any advice for a first time builder would be much appreciated.
Here is a list of the parts:

- CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX ($180 USD)
- Motherboard - ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard ($230 USD)
- Memory - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMD4GX3M2B1600C8 ($140 USD)
- Graphics Card - DIAMOND 5850PE51GV Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity ($320 USD)
- Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive ($80 USD)
- DVD Drive - LG Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM ($25 USD)
- Power Supply - COOLER MASTER GX Series RS750-ACAAE3-US 750W ATX12V v2.31 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply ($80 USD)
- Case - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Blue RC-932-KKN3-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case ($160 USD)

This build comes to approx. $1215 USD now this is slightly over my budget but i can work with it. Now i know their is an issue with the North bridge heat sink on the mother board, I've also read that if you reapply thermal paste it will fix the problem. Is this too much for a first time builder to take on? Also is a full tower excessive for this? would a mid tower cut it and still provide enough air flow? Any and all advice would be much appreciated. And i thank anyone who replies for their input.

No the full tower is just right.... But you can get just as good case for less, if you want to shave some coin.

As i always say... mobo and ram aren't my thing... Too many minor variations to figure out, but it all does work together.

If you save some cash, get a cpu cooler, the only reason to by a Black edition, is to overclock... So either dump the black to save a bit of coin... Or get a cooler and overclock :)

Edit, seems newegg only has the BE.

Thank you. For your input, When you say cpu cooler do you mean an after market fan or water cooling? And if water cooling do you think that's a wise venture for a first time builder? Ive been thinking heavily about water cooling at least the cpu just don't trust myself to install it on my first build.

If you just want to water cool the CPU I'd just recommend a self-contained water cooling unit such as the Corsair H50. It's a CPU water block with integrated pump connected to a 120mm radiator by factory sealed hoses. It's simple to install and works pretty well (i7 930 @ 4.08GHz stays under 65 on full stress test load). It takes one fan header to run the pump and then another for the fan (or two fans if you do push-pull).

Well i will use that as an aftermarket cooler till i feel comfortable installing full waster cooling. And thank you very much for the advise. I have another question, I've been really debating on which Graphics card to get, is it worth the additional money to get the radeon 5870 over the 5850? and anyone know a dependable brand because all of the reviews are split. Thank you for any response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom