Somethings broken ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

janvesely

Beta member
Hi everyone,

My computer worked fine for quite a while. Then all of sudden, sometimes when I try to boot my PC (or wake it up from sleep), the fan on my videocard starts spinning in full speed, screen remains black and nothing happens. All other fans (CPU, case, power source) are at normal speed.

Sometimes it helps to turn off the PC, switch it back and and it boots. Sometimes I have to repeat this procedure a couple of times to get it started. But once it's up & running, it works fine...

What is most likely the reason according to you? Dying videocard or is my motherboad saying bye-bye?

I did no overlclocking or another stuff like that, ever. Everything runs in "default" mode.

Videocard: Asus nVidia EN9800 GTX+
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
Mainboard: Gigabyte EP35-DS4
RAM : 4GB
Power: Fortron Epsilon 80plus 700W

Thanks,
Jan

Take a look at the fan on your gpu. It may be time for some cleaning if it is clogged with dust.

Check all of the pci-e power connectors into it as well.

Hi Hefemeister,

Thansk for your suggestions, I did that already: reconnected both the power connectors and used compressed air to clean the fan. Unfortunately, the problem remains ...

Have you installed the latest drivers?

Checked gpu temps?

Tested another gpu in your computer and tested yours in another computer?

Just looking for anything to elimate possibilities.

Thanks again, that's a good list of things to check

* I do have latest drivers (although that would not explain the cold start black issue problem AFAIK)
* GPU temp should not be an issue during cold start but that seems to be within norm as well; and if it were too hot, I would not expect the PC to start a few seconds later as if nothing happened ... then again, I may be wrong of course
* I do not have another card / PC to test the components to eliminate the possibilities but that is indeed the best option in my case

Which brings it down to 2 options: take the PC for maintenance where they do have another card to put in the system
...or buy a low cost video card just for testing sake - or buy a better one than 9800gtx+ and keep it in case the MB needs to be changed :)))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom