Thermal Paste Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubFusion

In Runtime
I know that a good amount of people that bought the Asus Crosshair IV Formula had issues with the NB overheating. So i thought i might check it out on mine, and sure enough the stock thermal pad wasnt even touching the heatsink. I keep reading in places that by thermal paste touching the circuitry around the NB chip can create a short circuit. Now as long as i clean it off before i power the board up, ill be fine right? The board has not even been connected to power yet.

Another question, should i be checking the temps in the bios before i attempt to install windows? If so how long should i wait to get an idea of how hot its going to run? And.... if my NB gets to hot, what temperature should i shut my system down at?

The only thing the BIOS temp will say is idle temp. But if it is high, you'll see it.

Might be a good idea, let it sit 5 min , or even try a livecd to test run the system before you spend time on it.

Got a link for a how to on that livecd? ive never even heard of that. i just want to make sure it will make it through a full installation of 7 so i can do some HW monitor/ cpu-z testing.

Oh, a livecd is an OS on a disk. Basically a linux that loads into the RAM, and is fully functionable.

You d/l and burn it to disk, pop it in the drive, and it loads as if its installed, yet it isn't.

I'll try and see which have a temp monitor setup, and give you a link.

Edit

Ubuntu will work fine to see if its all good, not sure if it has any temp stuff or cpuz
http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom