Overclocking my XFX HD5770 using ATI Overdrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alive.777

In Runtime
HI, just need some help in overclocking my XFX HD5770. my main concern is temperatures. at stock, it reaches 65-70 degrees celcius under full load (crysis on max details no aa-af @1280x960) and idles at about 44 degrees celcuis.
I only want a fairly mild overclock with out changing the cooler. maybe up the gpu clock up to say.... 950mhz instead of 850mhz and jump the memory clock up to 1300mhz instead of 1200mhz. as i said, iam going to be using ATI overdrive as iam not familuar with overclocking gpu's. Thanks in advance :)

You can probably push it as far as Overdrive allows safely. I tried with my 5870 and sure enough it works fine at 900/1300 which is 100MHz up on both core and mem. To keep it from overheating I manually set the fan around 50% (which is more than it ever gets on auto, but auto gets too hot in my opinion). With the fan at 50% and the clocks maxed out, the highest it got on my Folding@Home run was 62C.

This should easily translate to a 5770 as they have similar coolers, just give it more fan and you won't have to worry about heat. If your 5770 has an unofficial cooler then it may be an issue, I prefer cards that use the ATi designed reference cooler, especially for the 5xxx series as the official coolers are very nice.

Folding@Home is a research project from Stanford University to study protein folding which they think could be linked to cancer. Folding@Home is a computer simulation that is very processing-intense. Since they couldn't afford a room full of supercomputers to crunch the numbers, they made a distributed computing system where anyone can donate their unused (idle) CPU time to work on these projects. The newer clients have added GPU processing support. Running the GPU client pushes your graphics card to near 100% load without rendering any 3D, it's just doing that much processing work.

It's also pretty competitive, teams from various websites compete for scores and users compete within teams. That's why many people on the forum have Folding stats in their signature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom