OS for new build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carson1931

Baseband Member
Hello,

I am looking to build my own computer in about a month, and I am confused on a few things about the OS. Currently, I have 64bit windows 7 on my laptop, which I got for free via the CS department at my college. I am only allowed one copy of 64 bit AND 1 copy of 32bit. If i wanted to use 64bit on my new computer... would I need to buy a new one? Or could I shift the 32 bit to my laptop, and the 64bit to my desktop without the product key going bad on me?

Another Option... So if that wont work, i can also get another copy of windows 7 from my schools book store for 45$. However this copy is only an "upgrade." Would I be able to instal this on my computer if it didnt have a previous OS to upgrade from?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

-Carson

I asked my IT department about the MSDNAA copy and they said you could just call/e-mail Microsoft and they will transfer the license to your new PC. You can then use the 32 bit on your laptop if you want or go back to Vista. You may be able to get away with just keeping the laptop installed too, I think the MSDNAA copies let you register multiple systems as long as you can claim they're used for educational purposes.

As for the upgrade copies there are ways to use them. You need a Windows full version CD of the edition your upgrade is but not a CD key. Install the OS without a key from scratch, then put in your upgrade disc at the desktop and choose to perform an upgrade install. It will have to reinstall again (even though it's the exact same OS) but this time it will be flagged as an upgrade and the key will register successfully. I did this on my netbook since I got the $30 Student Discount deal but only had XP (can't upgrade from XP). The idea behind this is you can upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 7 and you can upgrade a system that doesn't have a CD key. This also works to upgrade a Vista install without a key to Windows 7 and then register using your upgrade key.

My school used a site called Eacademy... not MSDNAA. Will what you said still apply? Or does the site I bought it from change that?

You will be fine switching the 64bit to your Desktop and installing 32bit on the laptop.

My question is did you get the laptop through the school?

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom