New Build for CAD, Modeling, Video Effects, Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

xiscWarrior

Solid State Member
I am looking to build a computer for 3D CAD(Autodesk Inventor), modeling, rendering, and animation(Maya, 3DS Max), running analytical simulations of systems, such as stress tests or design tests, performing advanced video editing(Adobe Premiere, After Effects), and of course I would like to be able to do some gaming(MW2, Crysis, Word In Conflict, ARMA II etc). I would also like the system to be upgradeable for as long as possible while still providing the best performance in these areas for the price range.

I have a Hanns G HH241 monitor that I will probably use to start with until later this year, as well as a standard keyboard and mouse. That being said, I would appreciate suggestions to replace these when I am able along with a sound system. These add ons are not part of the initial cost estimate.

This is the build I have come up with for around $1500-$2k. I am willing to completely change it if I find something better though so any advice is appreciated.

Motherboard: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel i7-930 quad core 2.8 GHz

Video Card: HIS H587FN1GD Radeon HD 5870 iCooler V 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express x16 (2.1v)

RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX6GX3M3C1600C7

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower

Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W

Optical Drive/Burner: Optiarc DVDRW AD-7240S-01 24x SATA

CPU Cooler: Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. B

Hard Drive: 2x Western Digital Caviar Black 750GB

Are you planning on doing a little overclocking also? The P6T Deluxe V2 is a great overclocker but it lacks USB 3.0 and 6Gb/s SATA which are going to be pretty good options to have in the near future. I would look at the P6X58D Premium, it's a little more expensive but by next year you'll appreciate the extra options.

Newegg.com - ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

If your not overclocking but you still want an above average mobo then I would look at this.

Newegg.com - ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

If you do plan on overclocking you should go with the i7 920. While every cpu overclocks a little differently, from what I've seen the 920's seem to do a little better. If your not overclocking then the 930 with it's extra few MHz at stock speed is the better choice.

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601920

For CAD work you should go with a GTX 480 or a dedicated Workstation card. I use AutoCad everyday, but I'm not running analytical simulations. If you stick to the ATI card you should look at XFX, their Double Lifetime Warranty is worth a few extra dollars.

The 850 watt power supply is way more than you need unless your considering CrossFire or SLI in the future. For (2) 5870's 850 watts is plently, for (2) 480's I would go up to 900 or 1000 watts. For a single card you can drop down to a 650 or 750 watt model. Corsair is always a good choice in Power Supplies.

The Prolimatech is a Great Cooler for overclocking, don't forget to order a 120mm fan, or two, for it. Newegg is out of stock but you can pick one up here and get an extra set of fan brackets if needed.
Prolimatech Megahalems Rev B. Intel CPU Heatsink (LGA 775/1156/1366/AM2/AM2+/AM3) - FrozenCPU.com

If your not overclocking but you still want better than stock cooling then this is a good choice for less cash.
Newegg.com - Cogage TRUE Spirit 120mm CPU Cooler

A Solid State Drive would be the perfect finishing touch :thumbsup:

I think I'll be switching to a USB 3.0/6Gb/s SATA mobo, thanks for the advice.

Would it be better to overclock or go with a faster processor stock speed? I'm willing to try it out if it is worth it.

Also, would a nVidia card work better for these purposes than the ATI I have listed, or is it just an alternative solution? Which would you recommend?
On the GPU/PSU, I was thinking that another 5870 might be a worthwhile upgrade down the road to keep up with computing demands, thoughts?

I was thinking about getting a SSD for the boot/system drive, suggestions on size?

^^I agree with Muffin, get the 920 and overclock it.

For the applications your wanting to run, you would be better off buying a Workstation card. The Nvidia cards are the best for CAD but they want a good chunk of change for them. The ATI FirePro workstation cards are more affordable, this FirePro V5800 is priced fairly well and it will also game about the same as a ATI 5770. Newegg.com - ATI 100-505605 FirePro V5800 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 CrossFire Supported Workstation Video Card

If you want to buy a card more for Gaming but you would still like it to perform decently with your CAD applications then I'm recommending the Nvidia GTX 480.
Newegg.com - EVGA 015-P3-1480-AR GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

A SSD drive would be really nice for your purposes but they cost a pretty penny. Instead of buying the fastest SSD I bought one that was still fast, but not the fastest, so that I could get a larger drive that would hold the OS, my main applications and the files that I'm currently working on. I got this drive and I'm more than happy with it's performance though it looks like Newegg is making their profit from the shipping charges. Newegg.com - OCZ Agility Series OCZSSD2-1AGT120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

This drive is priced pretty good and it has free shipping.
Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

So I have switched mobos and CPUs as well as added the SSD recommended and two 120mm fans for the CPU cooler and am looking for a 650W PSU to go with.

I'm guessing either one of the cards will perform well with video editing/effects, modeling/animation, and CAD work, so its just down to picking between the last two GPU options(FirePro V5800 or GTX 480). It looks like the GTX 480 is the better card in most areas except maybe CAD as you said although it still will perform well, so I am leaning towards it. Just wondering if the 5870 would perform decent(I'm by no means a professional in any way) in all these areas as well.

Any other comments or considerations before I finalize it all?

While the 5870 might just work fine, I would go with the GTX 480 for CAD work. It costs a little more but it will be well worth it for your uses.

Here's a good 650w power supply
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

but I would probably get a 750 for the GTX 480 or a 850 if you think you may go SLI in the future.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

You shouldn't need any extra hardware for the OEM parts. I would look at getting a fan controller, I run my fans wide open but that's just my preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom