Hard Drive 50º C

Status
Not open for further replies.

armithel

Beta member
Last week I bought a 2TB CAXE3702T0 external HDD than runs eSATA storage for my computer.

I happened to touch it today while it was running idly, and it is hotter than any computer hardware Ive ever felt at a whopping 50 degrees celsius, or about 122 F.

I plan to use this for a long time as its 2 TB, and im in need of some handy and precise ways to cool this sucker to ensure it lives to see the end times.

I was thinking something like a gel pack that would absorb in the heat and release it, kindve like those fancy doggy water beds that absorb the heat.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I cant seem to find anything of this sort on the internet for purchase at a reasonable price.

Halp!

You can buy enclosures for the hdd which have inbuilt fans/heatsinks which will help with the cooling.
TBH though the drive shouldn't really be running at 50C.

I actually disagree, SOUL. My WD MyBook Essentials 320GB has been working fine for 3 years. Its temp is hightened because of the closed space that external hdd manufacturers make. Mine runs continuously throughout the day. It runs about 55-57C. About your best bet is to put it in front of a house fan, unless you can attach a case fan to it.

Laptop drives generally hit those temps, and so do desktop drives if they are surrounded by other high speed drives.

Look for an enclosure that has a fan or heatsink design for the HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom