Status
Not open for further replies.

Kunal

Beta member
Hi all,
Following on from Mooseheads posting:
'Nvidia+Via+AMD BSOD XP Advice please' ,
I find myself in a similar situation.
I bought the following: AMD Athlon XP +2400, Abit NF7-M, Maxtor 80GB IDE HD, and a cd-rw and case.
I put it all together, and experienced the exact same problems, and BSOD's that Moosehead had.
I sent all the stuff back, and got it tested, to be told that the motherboard was faulty. So they sent me a new one. Put it back together, - similar problem. (By now beginning to chew my nails off).

Sent it all back, to be informed that the Ram wasn't compatible with the rest of the stuff. -Fair enough. So i got it all sent back with a different brand of Ram, and they said they'd tested the ram, motherboard and processor together, and they'd passed all benchmarks.

Now here's the problem: Put it all back together yesterday, re-formatted and partitioned hard drive and started to install windows XP. Low and behold another problem. Two thirds of the way through installation, i get the BSOD reading:Fault with ntfs.sys.

I tried again and got another BSOD saying something to the effect of: ''device fault, check device and check for updated drivers''.

At this point i went to the pub to cry into a beer.

Any ideas? I'm pretty new at this and therefore have exhausted all my ideas already. Please help!

Here's a little more info that may prove to move to more Pints at your local,,,

Check Your HardDrive,, you may have a number of bad sectors that are indicating a failing drive,,

http://www.hgst.com/hdd/technolo/dft/dftnew.htm

that link goes to an online HDD test , it is for another HDD, however, it will work with all drive models,,

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tr.../winxppro/reskit/prmd_stp_swhw.asp?frame=true

the above link takes you to M$ technet,, check out their info on the stop error,,

sound familiar??

Have em pull a cold one for me too mate!

cheers,

if you had

gotten an intel board and chip, you wouldnt have had that problem, lol, as it is more compatable with xp, and the ram issue would be resolved

**INTEL ALL THE WAY!!!!**

I also heard that nf7 boards are irritably picky with regards to the ram you pair it with,..if "crash's" and "microbell's" suggestions don't work,..you might want to get yourself a better ram..like corsair or crucial.

here in the Phil( no, not in philadelphia,..im in the philippines)...its hard to get quality rams,...the only good rams you can buy is kingston and twinmos,...and a lot of people i know using NF7 boards said their pcs crash quite a lot with generic rams.

I had a similar problem with the NF7-M motherboard. Since the previous messages suggested looking at the memory, I decided to do the same.

I had Corsair RAM installed. I had 2 sticks installed in DIMM slots 1 and 2. Before I removed the stick in slot 2, I decided to take another look at the manual.

Previously I missed the following statement or I just did not read this section of the manual. On page 2-3 there is a note which states "We suggest you to install DDR SDRAM modules from DIMM3 to DIMM1 sockets in order." I thought this to be a bit odd but decided to try moving the stick in slot 1 to slot 3. I rebooted the machine and did several things which would cause it to get the BSOD or reboot and it never did.

I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom