Status
Not open for further replies.

idktech

Beta member
Help me choose a laptop!

Hey, please help me choose between these 2:

ASUUL30VTA1.PNG

ASUS UL30VT-A1 13.3" Notebook PC - Silver

Intel Core 2 Duo CULV SU7300 1.3GHz / 4GB RAM / 500GB HD / Hybrid GPU- NVIDIA G210M + Intel GMA 4500MHD / 802.11N / Webcam / HDMI / Windows 7 Home Premium

# Designed for the on the go Professional and Mobile productivity, the ASUS UL30VT Notebook features switchable graphics and is equipped with a 13.3" LED display, 1" thick chassis and 8 Cell Battery that provides 10+ hours of battery life in shared Video mode. With Switchable Graphics you can go between nVIDIA G210M 512MB DDR3 Video or Embedded Intel 4500MHD on the fly! Box Contents: ASUS UL30VT-A1 Notebook, AC Adapter, 8-cell Battery, AC Adapter; Software: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, ASUS Utility, 2-Year Limited Global Warranty, 1-Year Accidental Damage Warranty
# Intel Core 2 Duo CULV SU7300 1.3GHz Processor
# 4GB DDR3 1066MHz RAM (8GB max.)
# 500GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
# 13.3" HD 16:9 (1366x768) LED Backlight Display
# Integrated 0.3MP Webcam
# nVIDIA G210M 512MB DDR3 or Embedded Intel GMA 4500MHD Video (Switchable Graphics Controller, Dual-View capable Supports two different applications open at one time - one on the External Monitor, and one on the Laptop Screen)
# 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN
# 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
# Built-in Azalia compliant Audio chip, with 3D effect & full duplex (3D Stereo Enhanced Sound System)
# 2 Built-in Altec Lansing Speakers
# 4-in-1 Card Reader SD, MMC, MS, MS-PRO
# Ports: 3 x USB 2.0, RJ-45 (LAN), Headphone-out (with S/PDIF), Microphone-in, VGA, HDMI
# Dimensions (WxDxH): 12.68 x 9.17 x 0.59-0.97 inches
# Weight: 3.7 pounds

Or:
SONVPCEA21FXBI.PNG

Sony VAIO® VPCEA21FX/BI E Series 14" Notebook PC - Matte Black

Intel Core i3-350M 2.26Hz Processor / 4GB RAM / 320GB Hard Drive / DVD±R/RW / Intel HD Graphics / 802.11a/g/n / Bluetooth / HDMI / Windows 7 Home Premium

# Enjoy performance and multimedia entertainment in an affordable 14" widescreen laptop. Add to that an Intel Core i3 processor, loads of RAM and amazing picture quality. Rediscover your favorite music, photos and more with Media Gallery. Developed with design in mind, Media Gallery includes a stunning UI with easy-to-use features and technology that takes the work out of enjoying your media. In one-step you can easily simplify your massive music library into unique playlists. SensMe Technology suggests photos and music based on your unique viewing and listening habits, reminding you of forgotten favorites. Plus, with Integrated Gracenote and YouTube support, you can get the full scoop on your favorite artist or uncover music videos and interviews you didn't know existed. You'll have everything you need in one sleek package. Box Contents: Sony VPCEA21FX/BI Notebook, Standard Capacity Lithium-Ion Battery, AC power adapter, Power Cord; Software Bundle: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit, Microsoft Office 2010 Starter, Norton Internet Security 2010 30-Day Trial Offer, 1-Year Limited Warranty
# Intel Core i3-350M 2.26Hz Processor
# 3MB L3 Cache
# 4GB DDR3 1066MHz RAM (8GB max.)
# 320GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
# 14" Widescreen LED Backlit Display (1366 x 768)
# Built-in MOTION EYE camera and Microphone with face-tracking technology
# Intel HD Graphics
# Intel High Definition Audio
# DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Drive
# Intel Centrino Advanced N-6200 Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n
# 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
# Bluetooth Stereo A2DP (2.1 + EDR)
# Intel Wireless Display (WIDI) Capable - WIDI requires the NTG PTV1000 Wireless TV Adapter (sold separately) and TV with HDMI or Composite AV input
# Multimedia Card Reader - MS PRO (Standard/Duo) media slot with MagicGateâ„¢ functionality, ExpressCard / 34 media slot, SD media slot
# Pointing device - Electro-static Touch Pad (Multi-Finger)
# Ports: 4 x USB 2.0 (one shared with eSATA), Headphone Output, Microphone Input, VGA, HDMI, RJ-45 Ethernet
# Dimensions: 13.60 (W) x 1.07 (H) x 9.39 (D) inches
# Weight: 5.2 lbs (with standard battery)

I'd go with the ASUS. The VAIO has newer parts, but the GPU is lacking as well as other devices. You'll be happy with the ASUS.

What is the price factor? What are you using it for?

They are both 729 iirc. I'm looking for something to take with me to college, I'm an incoming freshmen. I want something that'll last me those four years. I'll be using it for general stuff, movies, music, chatting, etc.

Would I really need that better GFX for general schooling use?

Which one would probably last me longer? I'm hoping to buy one that'd last me all four years.

It all depends what you use it for. If you want to watch movies, the higher GFX card will be a plus. Also if you do light gaming.

Each laptop has a different life span, no matter what model you get. My Dell Vostro 1500 is ~3 years old now, I only ever had to replace the wireless card that was faulty. My cousin had a Dell Latitude. She was at college for 4 years. After 3 years, her laptop stopped functioning, can't remember the reason. She had to buy a new one. It depends in 100 ways how you use it. Just go with a good manufacturer and be happy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom