New expensive video card didn't change much.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, all of the drivers for the old video card are gone, and i re-installed the driver for this card, and i was playing call of duty for about 5 minutes or so, and everything seemed to be going fine, then, the computer shut off. when i turned it back on, the video card's fan screamed as it usually does.

Should I bother getting another? or should I just return it and get a Nvidia card?

Which Nvidia cards match the performance of the 5870?

Edit: I put the new card back in it's packaging, and re-installed the old one and uninstalled the drivers for the new one and re-installed the old drivers, and i tried playing call of duty in 1920x1080 full HD just for kicks, and it WORKED, this $100 card from 3 years ago could do it, and it wasn't that choppy, the picture actually looked pretty good.

This $500 card from today won't even play it on 1024x768 for more than 5 minutes

why is the old Nvidia card so much more reliable? It was getting hot doing this, but it was turning it's fan up higher to compensate. I've bought 2 of these old cards, and both of them worked out of the box and still work, although I don't use the other one anymore.

idk, i'm just ticked that I have to return this card and stuff... will newegg send me a new one and take this one back? or do i have to go through ASUS? no one's going to be open until monday...

You got a bad card it wasn't anyones fault but bad stuff gets made all the time thats why companies do returns they understand some might be flawed and are willing to give you what you paid for.
Even being a Nvidia guy i'd say stick with the radeon it's a great card you just got the bad one out of thousands of good ones.

Thanks guys, newegg has an online RMA form, I Filled it out, and my next step is to get a discounted UPS shipping label.

they'll only replace it though, won't refund. I got this card because it's gpu clock is higher than most, and the 2gb of ram might not make a difference now, but it could in the future, and I think it will help with the video editing I do.

its only got a 50mhz OC on the core and 25mhz OC on the memory, which you could've done yourself on a stock clocked card.

anyway, that was assuming that you could get your money back. it's not a bad card by any means though, i just thought you could've saved a nice chunk of change.

hopefully the replacement will work :D.

i wish i had noticed fat clowns signature earlier, could've saved me $75...

the new card came, it was either also defective or something about it just doesn't agree with my computer, it was shutting it down randomly like the other, but it wasn't very frequently, and it had amazing performance. It could play modern warfare 2 in full HD without missing a beat, but it would shut the computer down randomly, and the driver would stop working sometimes for no reason, i tried a bunch of different drivers, they all did the same thing.

I called newegg and they let me send it back for a return :D

I ordered an ASUS GTX 480

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom