New expensive video card didn't change much.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

roweder

In Runtime
I got a pretty high performance, and very pricey new video card:

ASUS Matrix Radeon HD 5870

but it didn't change anything! I've installed the driver for it, from the ASUS CD, and from ati.com (specific to my os), but nothing has changed, i still can't play games in HD. My computer acts just as it did with the last card, but the last card was really old, and not high performance like this new one, I don't understand why. It was an expensive card, shouldn't it improve performance?

This is the old video card: XFX GeForce 9800 GT

This is my motherboard: ASUS P5N-D

Please help me get full performance out of this video card, some setting or software or something must be holding my computer back from what it is now potentially capable of.

Thanks in advance,

-Derek

The rest of the parts are:

Ultra X3 1600 watt power supply
Intel core 2 duo 2.4 GHz
Lite-On Blu-Ray reader/DVD Burner optical drive
8gb DDR2 800MHz

Wow 1600W ?? Thats insanely over kill.... But anyway...

Did you completely uninstall the old drivers? Use something like Driver Cleaner to remove all the old nvidia gpu drivers.

What chip is the 2.4Ghz? the e6600?

Wow 1600W ?? Thats insanely over kill.... But anyway...

Did you completely uninstall the old drivers? Use something like Driver Cleaner to remove all the old nvidia gpu drivers.

What chip is the 2.4Ghz? the e6600?

yea, i know it's overkill, i'm still learning...

the CPU says it is a 6600 in the system properties screen

Abstract Hero, are you sure I'm bottlenecked by the CPU? it meets system requirements for the video card

yea, i know it's overkill, i'm still learning...

the CPU says it is a 6600 in the system properties screen

Abstract Hero, are you sure I'm bottlenecked by the CPU? it meets system requirements for the video card

I'm pretty sure but not positive but there's other possible issues like Paton suggested also is your monitor hd?

Yea the monitor is HD, i got it with the video card, it's 1920x1080 60hz 2ms

The card acts weird too, if I change settings in call of duty, the screen goes black for a couple minutes (way longer than normal, in fact it shouldn't go black at all) and one time, i got the blue screen of death after changing settings and had to reboot. Then, I was just playing a few minutes ago, and the screen randomly stopped, and changed to this:

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/736/dsc01258v.jpg

and I had to reboot to use the computer again.

Yea the monitor is HD, i got it with the video card, it's 1920x1080 60hz 2ms

The card acts weird too, if I change settings in call of duty, the screen goes black for a couple minutes (way longer than normal, in fact it shouldn't go black at all) and one time, i got the blue screen of death after changing settings and had to reboot. Then, I was just playing a few minutes ago, and the screen randomly stopped, and changed to this:

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/736/dsc01258v.jpg

and I had to reboot to use the computer again.

Sounds like a bad card or bad drivers
Try reinstalling the drivers if no effect
RMA it and rule that out of the equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom