RAM Thermal Probe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubius

Golden Master
Well first off are there any 'official' ram thermal probes that I just don't know about?

2nd off...if there isn't...how well do you think it would work to stick a thermal probe between the first RAM chip a RAMsink to record how hot your RAM is getting? Obviously it'd only be an estimate since it's not just one solid thing getting hot but rather multiple chips. Thats why I say put it on the first chip because it is the first to be accessed. What do some of you think of that?

i wasnt aware there were ram probes :confused: lol... but yes what you said makes logical sense.. and its my experience in computers that whats logical is usually rite :) lol.. except when ur trying to fix stuff then the computer seems to amuse itself by confusing the hell out of you.. but im not aware of thermal probes "built" for any perticular reason such as ram sticks... with the computer im building rite now im using a hardcano 12 to control my cpu and chipset fans and what not and i just put the thermal probe oonto the cpu before i attach the heatsink and it gives me pretty accurate temperaturs when i compare it to the reading im getting from my bios and motherboard program... so yeah in all theory putting a thermal probe under the ramsink or heatspreader on ur ram should give u a pretty lose estimate of how warm ur cpu's getting

You don't need a special probe. Just use thermal tape to stick the thermistor on the chip. There's not any point in measuring memory temps. If you're concerned with heat install a memory heatsink (sometimes called coolers or heat spreaders) with a lot of contact area for dissipation .... some of them have fans like

http://www.casecooler.com/acramcoolwit.html

I have a copper heatsink on my RAM as it is. And I was already pretty sure there wasn't a special probe. I'm just saying take an ordinary probe used for GFX cards or CPU readings and stick it between the copper heatsink I have and the first RAM chip. Compare the temperatures of it when it's at stock speed and to when I've raised my CPU FSB up to 215 and loosend the Cycle time to 11 with a total of 3-3-3-11 2T timings when stock is 3-3-3-8 but also I may need to raise the dimm voltage to 2.7 instead of stock 2.6 so I wanted to compare temperatures ya know? So I figured it would be interesting to note those temperatures and rig a probe like that. Make sense to anyone else?

and its my experience in computers that whats logical is usually rite lol.. except when ur trying to fix stuff then the computer seems to amuse itself by confusing the hell out of you..
lol man that is exactly correct, I swear sometimes they just mess with me for the hell of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom