Perhaps you guys can help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxMcCarther

In Runtime
I have been getting into photography as a hobby more and more over the last year or two, and I am at the point I need to stop borrowing everybody else's camera and get my own.

I am still sort of new to the hobby so I really don't know what to look for in a camera, and I was hoping you guys could really give me some recommendations as this is all rather new to me lol.

Anyway, I don't really have as large as a budget as I would like to have, however If there is one that is over-budget (to an extent) list it anyway as I will be shopping around extensively before I make any decisions (I am really still in the "Is this really what I want to do / Research" stage).

My budget for the camera itself is only about $600-700 or so.

I would also want a macro lens (in addition to a 'standard' lens), however that need not be included in the price above.

While I doubt I will ever use it professionally, it is a hobby that is growing on me increasingly fast. I don't know it that will help determine what I should be looking at, but like I said above, any recommendations at all would be good, Even if that advise is wait a while and save more money.

Thanks!

Either a Nikon D200, D2h, or the D5000.

D5000 with 18-55mm kit - 12mp up to a clean ISO3200, HD video, 4fps, articulating screen, 11 af points, little beefier grip than the rebels.

D200 + 35mm f/1.8 - 10MP up to a clean ISO 800-1600ish, 5fps, 11 AF points, big viewfinder, solid professional build that's completely weather sealed, pop up flash can act as a commander for other speedlights.

D2h + 35mm f/1.8 - 4mp, up to a clean ISO 800-1600, 11 AF points, HUGE viewfinder, 8fps solid professional beast of a motherf***er. Don't let the 4MP fool you and besides, how many times do you print larger than 11x14?

If I were in your budget, those would be the kit's i'd consider.

What exactly is the frame-rate in regards to cameras, also, why is there such a large gap between the MP of the first camera listed, and could you clarify a bit more on what exactly it is? I know it is something to do with the clarity, however the 4mp should in theory have a reason or limitation it is only 4, does it make up somewhere else?

I hope you can understand what I am trying to say lol. Thanks again

Looks like I have a new budget, I was just assigned to do 5-12's at work, (60 hours / week) and 5-12's and a 6 every other week (66 hours). This should last for the next 5 weeks, which means I will be having a bit more disposable income (~300-400 all said and done).

Point being, I guess my point being My new budget is ~1,100 I would be willing to spend, so... Does this change anything? Also, I forgot to mention in my previous posts, I have absolutely nothing against shopping around or looking for a good used camera, so if it falls around that range I would love it.

Unrelated, I have been reading around this section more than I have before and some of you guys have amazing pictures.

What exactly is the frame-rate in regards to cameras, also, why is there such a large gap between the MP of the first camera listed, and could you clarify a bit more on what exactly it is? I know it is something to do with the clarity, however the 4mp should in theory have a reason or limitation it is only 4, does it make up somewhere else?

I hope you can understand what I am trying to say lol. Thanks again
The framerate is how fast the cameras can shoot continuously. Generally the faster the framerate, the higher end the camera is.

The reason there's a large gap in resolution is because the D5000 is current, neither the D2h or D200 are current cameras. The D2h was introduced 6 years ago. Doesn't mean it's a bad camera though, it's fast as **** and built like none other. Out of the three cameras I listed, absolute image quality aside, it's easily the best out of the three, no comparison.

DPreview's reviews:

D2h: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD2H/

D200: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD200/

D5000: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD5000/

So if you were to categorize the three cameras you'd have this:

Working Professional: D2h

Prosumer: D200

Amateur: D5000

Personally, for a budget around 1100, i'd do a D5000 kit, get the 55-200VR, and the 35mm f/1.8. Than next paycheck drop $200-$350 on a solid Manfrotto or Gitzo tripod and the Nikon ML-L3 remote. That combination will let you do almost anything.

Thanks, really appreciate all the info, so you feel the D5000 is the way to go eh? I'll start looking ^_^

*EDIT* I've been looking around and so far what I have seen is the D5000 and D200 are very similarly priced, besides cost, is there any significant reason to choose the D5000 over the D200?
(The difference I have found so far for used ones is only ~$80) Is there is much improvement or expansion possibility over the D5000? If there is, I would hate to let $80 hold me back lol.

One other thing, Would you be able to recommend me some lenses too? I would hate to have a new camera and not be able to utilize it by by choosing poor quality lenses (looking to start with two or three in addition to the body). Need a decent macro lens, and ideally one or two good for nature or city shots.

One other thing I am a bit curious about, I heard Sony makes allot of the lenses, do they make the Nikon lenses? If so, how do the Sony lens prices compare to a comparable Nikon lens?

You have been most helpful so far ^_^

One more question just out of curiosity, why did you list 3 Nikons? (IE: Good value, good quality, good all around, fits exactly what I am looking for, ETC)

good quality, the best lens comatibility, great image quality, slightly lower specs then canon but canons cam eras loose quite alot of manual fuction/ aswell as aesthetic features up until there higher end model. also nikon tends to have better image quality so far but that can be argued. with nikon you have 50 years of lens selections that will usualy work with out a hasle where as most other brands have changed there lens mount over the years where nikon has not. me and switch are a bit of nikon fanboys but we can acknowledged the benefits of the other side as well. the d2h would be an awsome camera the only problem i could even consider a problem is the fact that the d2h has the proffesional line of features on it, so upgrading your stuck going up to a nikon d3 or a nikon d700. imo id try for a d200 or d2h both amazing cameras as switch pointed out.

hu1s8h.jpg

Me and switch are a bit of nikon fanboys
So I see lol.

I seem to keep coming back to the d200 as the best fit for my situation so I have been reading a bit about it. The only real downside (so I read) is the battery life, while I am not factoring this in my decision, However I am curious as to just how much power this thing draws lol.

Also, It would appear from the day or two of research I have done so far, the d200 is a solid choice for me (Though it will be 3 weeks or so before I actually buy it, so allot of research left on my part). So, that said, where do you guys buy your lenses? Have never bought any online before.

Thanks to both of you ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom