Getting the most out of the warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteFlare

Baseband Member
I posted a help post a while back for my graphics card problems. I finally got the problem resolved and its proof how much warranties can save you money.

The Story

My laptop was getting the BSOD whenever I installed a graphics card driver. I could boot into safe mode, view all my documents and everything and ran tests so I knew it wasnt the hard drive. I brought it to the Geek Squad (thats where I had the warranty) and they diagnosed the problem.

They called back and said it was a hard drive problem and they had to replace it. At this time, I wasnt going to say anything because they just told me they were giving me a brand new hard drive (and I knew that wasnt the problem) so I said OK. My laptop is almost 3 years old.

I picked up the laptop, installed windows 7, fooled around with the Operating system because Ive never used Windows 7 before, and then decided I was ready to bring it back the the Geek Squad to have it fixed correctly. So I re-installed the graphics card driver AND....BSOD again.

Now, 3 weeks later, I go to pick up my laptop with a brand new hard drive to find out they also replaced the Mother Board, the processes (which is now better than my last one (1.8GHz to a 2.4GHz) and a new graphics card.

So...I basically have a new laptop due to the Geek Squads mistake.

Make sure you spend the extra money on the warranties!!

I find most extended warranties rip offs.

I buy everything on my visa gold card and i automatically get an extra year warranty on everything i buy.

DO NOT give it to Geek Squad. Give it to the manufacturer of your system. If still under warranty. But still, save yourself a bit of money and stay away from Geek Squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom