Booting up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vance, I like your explanations. You're right about the 2000 install being cut short. The 98 should have been untouched. Which is why I wonder why I can't boot into it.

Okay, when the computer boots up, you say the NT partition is taking precedence. How do I make win 98 take presedence?

How does the computer know which partition to look at first? Isn't there a file with some boot loader instructions that I can edit?

Maybe the boot instructions should be on there own partition.

if you have 2 partition magic rescue floppy disc, you could do it

but try to reinstall 2000, it will be there then

Echo Kilo said:
How can I have it see my Windows 98 partition and boot into it!

I believe the reason why you are seeing the NTLDR error is because your boot configuration was changed due to your incomplete win2000 installation. To restore these setting use a win98 or winME startup diskette (download from bootdisk.com) to boot your computer. When you get to the dos A:\ prompt type

copy c:\boot.ini a:

assuming win98 was installed on drive c:, that command copies a hidden file boot.ini to your floppy disk on drive A: Please attach that file to here or copy and paste the contents here. it should look something like this

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partitions(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

make 2 rescue disc boot from them

then delete the 2000 or set the 98 to active

I still would delete the 2000 one

I'm sure ekÆsine idea will work too. I not that well verse in dos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom