Lap me gently...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubFusion

In Runtime
Im sure there is a thread on here about lapping so if i sound like a broken record feel free to direct me to the proper thread.... anyways im looking to lap my Noctua NH-D14 and i was wondering if anyone had tips or twists that differ (from the flat surface, sandpaper, dish soap and water, and the constant 90* turning of the heat sink). Also i have a few ideas why i should not lap my cpu, so either reinforce those ideas or let me know if its at all...worth it?

The Noctua really shouldn't need Lapping, the cpu would probably benefit more from lapping. However, lapping the cpu will Void your Warranty.

Doesn;t that heatsink have a flat contact? If so then lapping wont really give you huge results. Im not sure i would even lap it. Like 1-2c but voids the warranty?

So the Noctua's got a good track record i suppose, its base is flat as is?
Also would spray paint affect the fans at all, obviously i know that the weight of the paint is negligible, but would that have any unforseen affect. i just cant stand the flesh colored fan shrouds.

Also would the cpu get wrecked by static build up, regardless of being grounded, from scraping against sandpaper, water and dish soap 100x over?

^ i have seen fans painted before, so i doubt there is much effect on them (i couldn't;t pain the wire to the fan tho).

as for the static build up, im not really sure what you mean lol, there is a large difference between friction and static. Sanding does not necessarily build up static electricity. As well, the soap and water is not needed. All you need to lap a heatsink/cpu is sand paper, and the heatsink or cpu lol.

Actually rubbing anything back and fourth a bunch can create static build up, even against something as insignificant as air, theres also the surface im working on, my hands etc, etc... Anyways what i meant was, generally grinding anything back and fourth cant be to good. With the sensitive nature of the beasts that are processors (ill go back to my original question)... Is lapping my cpu, effective? or is it not worth while?

Like i said, sanding does not necessarily create any static electricity. The things your rubbing together is what tell you how much will be created, sandpaper on metal, insignificant amount. Just because you are creating friction, does not mean there is any significant build up of electricity what so ever.

Lapping a cpu obviously drops temps, but it voids warranty on usually a fairly expensive part, so its your call if you want to go that route.

Actually rubbing anything back and fourth a bunch can create static build up, even against something as insignificant as air, theres also the surface im working on, my hands etc, etc... Anyways what i meant was, generally grinding anything back and fourth cant be to good. With the sensitive nature of the beasts that are processors (ill go back to my original question)... Is lapping my cpu, effective? or is it not worth while?

I don't think you have to worry about static. I see what your saying but I've never heard of someone lapping and shocking their gear because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom