Making my first computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

webby93

Baseband Member
I am good with computers and have done many different things on them as I am a computing student. But, there is one thing I have never done and thats taking one apart or putting one together again. Anyway, I am upgrading and wanting to make my own. I have found guides all over the internet and think I am capable of making one or have friends that can definitely help me. I am just not so sure about the parts. I have a list of parts I have found and am pretty sure that they will all work with each other. I would like some computing guru to tell me if any of these parts will not go with each other, or if i'm missing anything, or incase there are any cables I need to buy for it etc. Anyway here's the list :

CASE --> X-Case Galaxy-400 With Psu and Bubble Light affect.

MOTHERBOARD --> http://www.ksn-it.co.uk/components-motherboards-asrock-skt-1156-p55m-pro-atx-p-7739.html

CPU --> Intel Core i5-650 Socket 1156 Processor 3.2GHz 4MB Cache Dual Core

RAM --> Buy 4GB CCL Choice 1333MHz DDR3 Memory  from CCL - Online Retailer of the Year 2008, 2007 & 2006 for laptops, desktops and computer hardware

HARD DRIVE --> Samsung HD103SJ 1 TB 32 MB 7200RPM SATA Internal Hard: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

DVD DRIVE --> Okobe.co.uk: LG GDR-H20NBRL - LG GDR-H20N, 5.25", SATA, 16x DVD-ROM Drive

GRAPHICS CARD --> B Grade Nvidia Geforce 9800GT 1GB PCI-E Graphics Card Free Delivery : Maplin

MONITOR --> Buy Acer P195HQB 19in TFT Monitor. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .

Cheers for any help in advance to any help :D
James

I see you're on the other side of the pond! Welcome to T-F.

I'd drop that case and get this Antec 600. The on;y reason you choose that case was because it came with a 400w PSU correct?

Antec Six Hundred Midi Tower Gaming Case

You'll want a better power supply. Never flake on a No Name PSU, because if the PSU goes out then there is a chance it can take out the rest of your PC components. A corsair 650w is more than enough to keep you on the safe side.

Corsair TX Series, 650 Watt, ATX, PS: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

If budget isn't a problem I'd take your CPU up a notch to the i5-750 for £20 more.

Intel Core i5-750 Socket 1156 Processor 2.66GHz 8MB Cache Quad Core

Better RAM is probably going to be a better choice for you too.

GSkill 4GB (2x2gb Kit). I know it's a bit more expensive but it's much better.

G-Skill 4GB 1600MHz PC12800 DDR3 NQ Series CAS 9 Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Speaking of price. What is your budget?

Mike

What's your budget?

My two cents:
If you're buying a GPU you should buy the i5 750. On newegg it's only $15 more, don't know how much is the difference on UK, and it's a quadcore instead of a dualcore. The i5 650 it's so expensive because has an integrated GPU that you won't use since you're buying a separate GPU.
Can't follow the link of the mobo you've chosen but you should get a P55 and not a H55.

The GPU 9800GT it's two generations old, I think you should get a more recent card, like a ATI HD5770 since it supports Directx 11.

If you don't have the money for a different GPU maybe you should choose a AMD build.

Thanks for all the advice. PositiveKaram, just wondering what the corsair actually helps do as it is very expensive. And if i get it, I want to know what it is haha.

And farinha the mobo is a ASROCK SKT-1156 P55M PRO S/L M-ATX so yes it is a p55 thanks :D.

Cheers James

Thanks for all the advice. PositiveKaram, just wondering what the corsair actually helps do as it is very expensive. And if i get it, I want to know what it is haha.

And farinha the mobo is a ASROCK SKT-1156 P55M PRO S/L M-ATX so yes it is a p55 thanks :D.

Cheers James

Corsair has very good quality. If the PSU were to go out it would prevent the death of the other PC components. You can easily slide with a 500-550W PSU I'd say.

Corsair VX 550W ATX Power Supply (CMPSU-550VXUK) [CMPSU-550VXUK] Power Supplies Corsair

Best regards,
Mike

Thanks, I think I might as well go for the 650 as it aint much more expensive than the 550. Also is there anything I've missed off my list like cables etc. And will I have to buy a CPU fan or will I get it with my intel i5 750???

Sorry for repeating haha, but I'm guessing this is still the same product but for £15 cheaper CMPSU-650TXUK Corsair PSU/TX Series 650 Watt ATX, PS/2 Power Supply - UK Version

Cheers Guys
James

*EDIT*
I think I have now got a list of everything that I need. And, I Just realised that I can get most of the list I have made from 1 website so here's my new list. Again if I have anything wrong or can be improved. Also if i'm missing any cables etc and If I need to get a CPU fan that would be awesome.
Here's the list:

CASE --> Antec 0761345-08060-6

MOBO --> 4711140875965 ASRock P55M Pro Motherboard Intel Core i7/Core i5 Socket LGA1156 iP55 MicroATX RAID Gigabit LAN

CPU --> Intel BX80605I5750

RAM --> G-Skill 4GB 1600MHz PC12800 DDR3 NQ Series CAS 9 Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

HARD DRIVE --> 0S02573 Hitachi DESKSTAR 1TB RETAIL 3.5IN 7200 RPM 32MB CACHE IN

DVD DRIVE --> SH-S182D/BEBM SAMSUNG DVD WRITER 18X BLACK

GRAPHICS --> MSI 912-V151-022

MONITOR --> Buy Acer X223HQb 21.5in Widescreen TFT Monitor. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .

PSU --> CMPSU-650TXUK Corsair PSU/TX Series 650 Watt ATX, PS/2 Power Supply - UK Version

Gonna be playing a load of games hopefully. The usual haha, Cod, GTA and what not. And i'm starting uni in 2011 so i'm hoping it will last me through that aswell, probably with the odd upgrade but o well. And sorry but nobody has answered my question about the cpu fan yet :)

Cheers James

I have also just realised that the case is a ATX case but the mobo is a micro atx, Is this a problem?? And will the PSU still work fine with a micro atx. Thanks everyone

Gonna be playing a load of games hopefully. The usual haha, Cod, GTA and what not. And i'm starting uni in 2011 so i'm hoping it will last me through that aswell, probably with the odd upgrade but o well. And sorry but nobody has answered my question about the cpu fan yet :)

Cheers James

I have also just realised that the case is a ATX case but the mobo is a micro atx, Is this a problem?? And will the PSU still work fine with a micro atx. Thanks everyone

Okay I was just asking, you probably won't be able to play most games at full graphics with that card. Mid to Low end.

And the CPU Fan Heatsink question. Yes Intel will provide you with a stock Heatsink (Which is by far one of the most terrible heatsinks ever made) so it would be wise to upgrade to a better heatsink eventually.

Here's my PC. Check out Post 19 to see the stock intel cooler and then what I bought to replace it.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/cpu-running-too-hot-232974/index2.html

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom