Plan on building a gaming PC eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never used a anti-static wrist strap. Just make sure your grounded before you grab a component (touch a metal portion of your case).

Depending upon the plug on the fan you may be able to plug it into the motherboard, but more than likely you will have to plug it into one of the connectors from the power supply.

On the specifications for the PSU, would the periphals part be for fans?
"1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)
1 x 12V(4/8Pin)
8 x peripheral
8 x SATA
2 x Floppy
4 x PCI-E"
Wouldn't the main connector be for the motherboard, (I don't know what the 12V is for), the peripherals for fans(?), the SATA for my HDD and optical drive, floppy for floppy drives, and PCI-E would be for the slots where I put my graphics card? Pretty sure the monitor, speakers, router, modem, keyboard, and mouse use a seperate power supply (the surge protector strip that is plugged into an electric outlet).

The 1x12V(4/8pin) connector plugs into the mobo as does the Main Connector (20+4pin)
pinsn.jpg

Oh. So, where do I plug the fans in? The page on newegg doesn't show what kind of power connector the fans that come with the case use... But I do know that the extra one I'm buying uses either a 3 or 4 pin power connector.

You had all the other correct. The fans plug into the (8 x peripheral) connectors. Can you link me to the fan in question?

Well, I know this uses a 4 pin connector, but I don't know if the fans that come in this chassis use 4 pin connectors. :/

Another question, would this rig still be doing well in a few years?

I have found some RAM that is cheaper. Still 8GB if I buy two packs. Looks fairly good from the reviews. Link
I have also found another motherboard that looks fairly good to me from the specs, not sure. Here. It also supports AMD six core processors out of the box. :D

With a set up like this(everything I plan on getting for it):
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor Model HDT90ZFBGRBOX
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
(2) G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL8D-4GBRM
PNY XLR8 VCGGTX480XPB GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 20000:1) Built in Speakers
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1501FASS 1.5TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
LG UH10LS20 Blu-ray Disc Combo Internal SATA 10x SuperMulti Blue LightScribe
Link Depot 6 ft. HDMI TO HDMI A/V Cable Model HDMI-HDMI-2 - OEM
Logitech 967740-0403 Black 104 Normal Keys 8 Function Keys USB Standard Internet 350 USB Keyboard - OEM
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
Logitech C600 USB Webcam
Logitech MX 518 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Optical 1800 dpi Gaming Mouse
Logitech X-540 70 watts 5.1 Speakers
AZZA Solano 1000 Black/Black Japanese SECC Steel/Metal mesh in front ATX Full Tower Computer Case
GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
MASSCOOL FD12038S1M3/4 120mm Case Fan
BELKIN BE112230-08 8 Feet 12 Outlets 3780 Joules Surge Protector with Telephone and Coaxial Protection
Microsoft Office 2010 Home & Student 3-User
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Would that PSU be powerful enough or should I upgrade to This?

Also, what does the guide mean by "a grounded metallic object"?

The memory is good but I would avoid the Gigabyte mobo. It seems like everyone I'm having to help lately, at multiple forums, has a low-priced Gigabyte board. If you want a Gigabyte mobo spend a little more cash and get one that isn't the cheapest they make (or close to it).

Looking over your parts closer I see you have selected the GTX 480. You would be better off buying a slightly lesser card and spending more money on the motherboard. Your buying all of these High Quality parts but then you want to plug them all into a piece of crap mobo. If you buy High-Quality Components you want to stick with a Mobo of equal Quality.

This motherboard is a better match for the rest of your parts.
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD7 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 XL ATX AMD Motherboard

It's your money to spend as you want, but your buying the Best AMD cpu, a GTX 480, Corsair PS, a very good kit of memory and then your skimping on the mobo. It's like buying the cheapest Kia and then spending more money on accessories than the car is worth.

Buy a good mobo, downgrade your other parts before you downgrade the "Main" Component. Everything plugs into the motherboard, it's the heart of your system. If you can't afford a better mobo then you should go with a X6 1055 or a ATI 5870 or skip the Blu-ray until you can buy a decent mobo.

And Arctic Silver 5 is one of the Worst Pastes you can buy in todays Modern World.
Newegg.com - Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom