New Build suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

odie072

Baseband Member
I'm going to build my daughter a computer using her HP Pavilion (sempron 3.0ghz?) and would like some suggestions and advice. I posted in the virus section about what she thought was a virus, I took the cover off and there is only one fan on CPU and the vent hole in the back. Fan and heatsink was full of dust so I cleaned them both. I plugged everything back in, turned the computer on and it started just fine but the fan was slow. To make a long story short I believe she overheated it playing the Sims game the day before(all day).

Here is what I have:

Western Digital HD SATA w/widows 7 and HP software loaded
Lightscribe DVD SATA

95% of the computers use is all the different SIMS game. The other time is spent between the internet and music. I need to do the least expensive build and still be able to do the above.

What I"m thinking of getting:

Motherboard:
Newegg.com - ASRock 770 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 770 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU:
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X3 440 Rana 3.0GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX440WFGIBOX
or
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor ADX245OCGQBOX
Video card:
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100295HDMI Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Case:
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 534 RC-534-KKN2-GP Black Aluminum & Mesh bezel / SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
PS:
Newegg.com - XCLIO STABLEPOWER 500W 500W ATX Active PFC Power Supply
RAM, CPU fan and heatsink:
Any suggestions??

This should be in the price range of 400.00ish and I would like to keep it around there if possible.

Thanks.

odie072

so you basically you want to gut the HP and rebuild it. what model is it? i ask to look it up to see if it isn't restricted to using like just m-atx motherboards.

Newegg.com - MSI 785GTM-E45 AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

I recommend looking into this and other MSI mobo's, so far I am second one and I have not had any major issues at all so far.

The reason why I recommended this because this mobo has ati hd 4200 integrated which should handle the sims game pretty well.

I am also sure that HP case can have the I/O panel knocked out, look at the Back of the pc and make sure the I/O is silver then, and flimsy, if it is your good to go.

I do recommend you look at the size of the ATX PSU before buying the wrong one and size.
This will only uitilize DDR2 800 ram up to atleast 2-4gb.

Also if you can swing it look at the Athlon ii X4 630 quadcore, you would benefit better from that and doing multiple medium size or heavy tasks programs, it will eat it alive for breakfest and still want seconds... :D

Muffin man, I should have made it a little clearer. I'm basically doing a new build using the hard drive and dvd drive from the HP.

MkeFuryXP, is the integrated graphics on the MB better that the graphics card I was looking into? I'm not going to use the case from the HP, I'm looking at the cooler master above.

Thanks,

odie072

I just noticed, the above video card is out of stock. Any suggestions on that one?

odie072

Did the links in my first post show up?? I just read in someone else's post that their links wasn't working.

I just noticed, the above video card is out of stock. Any suggestions on that one?

odie072

Did the links in my first post show up?? I just read in someone else's post that their links wasn't working.

To be honest, that video card you posted would outperform the onboard video graphics currently on the mobo.
I prefer you look into this:
Newegg.com - HIS H545H512 Radeon HD 5450 (Cedar) 512MB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card

This video card out performs both of them and a better value of what you'll be getting.

I prefer you look into this:
Newegg.com - HIS H545H512 Radeon HD 5450 (Cedar) 512MB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card

This video card out performs both of them and a better value of what you'll be getting.

a 5450 is not better than a 4670, not by a long shot.

the 4670. and it looks like a good deal too with that 24hr special they're having (and a rebate).

you could look into this quad core instead, and it'll save you some money too since you won't need a separate cooler.
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor ADX620WFGIBOX

for the same price (and free shipping), you could get this board that supports usb 3.0
Newegg.com - ASUS M4A77T/USB3 AM3 AMD 770 USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

this psu
Newegg.com - OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7
it's modular, longer 3yr warranty, and it's the same price (with free shipping) and a $20 rebate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom