cpu temps high?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisG23

Solid State Member
My i7 930 idles at 38dC, and hits 82dC when running prime 95. after I returned to stock clocking speeds, ithe idle temp is about the same, but it runs cooler on prime95, about 70dC. I'm using a cooler master v8 on the cpu. Whats going on?

You may have applied to much thermal paste to your cpu, common mistake (made it myself). you only need a drop about the size of a BB. and make sure its spread out evenly and thin, very thin. See if that helps, if not, post back. good luck

I'm at 70C with the stock cooler when at 100% load, if you're using a good cooler then you probably applied the thermal paste wrong. You don't need much, just a thin layer. Also try turning up the fan speed on your cooler if you can. You can also undervolt the chip a bit, if you set the voltage manually you can make the chip run cooler, but you run the risk of making your system unstable. I started by dropping my core voltage to around 1.00V and started going up from there until the PC stopped crashing (an unstable CPU will usually cause a blue screen of death within minutes of boot or running CPU-intensive programs).

If i need to tear the whole mobo out of the case, should I lap the cpu and cooler right away while its apart, or is that a waste of time?

You shouldn't need to lap the Cooler Master V8, at the most I would just use 1500 and 2000 grit paper to polish it. The CPU may need Lapping (it's usually good for a few degrees) but it will Void your Warranty, be very careful and clean it throughly with alcohol afterwards (to remove any and all of the metal flakes).

Reaplied thermal paste (much less) a drop just a slight bit bigger than a bb. then made sure the cooler was sitting properly on the cpu. Now running prime 95 on stock clocking speed, and hitting 79dC on core #0. The rest are a slight bit lower, progressivly down to core 3 which is around 72dC. I dont understand why it is so hot... Its the stock clock on a DO chip...Should be no higher than 65dC! ARGH! :angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom