PLEASE HELP....Very odd issue with booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

morabors

Beta member
6 months ago I built (2) machines virtually identical, kichen PC and basement PC. The following are the specs for the kitchen PC which has an issue.
•Cooler Master RC-600-KKN1-GP Gladiator 600 Mid Tower Case - ATX, mATX, MPN: RC-600-KKN1-
•AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Dual Core Processor - 3.10GHz, Socket AM3, 6MB Cache, 2000MHz (4000 MT/s), Retail, Unlocked Multiplier
MPN: HDZ550WFGIBOX
•CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
•LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Writer LightScribe Support
•GIGABYTE GA-770TA-UD3 AM3 AMD 770 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard SATA 3.0, USB 3.0, 3x USB power
•COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler
•OCZ AMD Black Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3BE1600C8LV4GK
•GIGABYTE GV-R467ZL-1GI Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
•SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
•Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
The kitchen PC had all 4 cores working and was set at 3.4. The machine gets very light use, no gaming, has worked fine for 6 months. Came home last week and the GPU was shot, put it into the basement PC and no work. Replaced it with an older VGA card and figured all was well. Then the PC started getting the following error when starting: "THE SYSTEM HAS EXPERIENCED BOOT FAIL DUE TO O.C." I reset cmos using the jumper and have replaced the battery with a known good one, the same error. When I get this error I can choose to enter BIOS or hit enter to go to windows. I have set everything back to defaults, 2 cores at 3.1. I still get the error, keep in mind that when I do go to windows there are no apparent issues eith the machine. I ran P95 and Memtest with no issues. I have swapped the memory sticks with the known good basement PC as well as the PSU, no change. Here is the odd part, if I remove (1) stick of memory, I do not have the issue as long as my HD is plugged into SATA ports 4 or 5, if I have the HD plugged into 0,1,2, or 3 I get the issue even with (1) stick in. At first I figured I took a power hit that fried my GPU and affected my HD. I have swapped the HD with known good basement HD and same issue. Now I am figuring the Mobo is flakey, any ideas? THanks

Only the old VGA in use shows in device manager. Another thing I forgot to mention, when this started happening my windows 7 is no longer recognized as valid. This is another reason I am leaning toward a bad Mobo. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom