GTX465 vs 5850

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that. But don't most GPUs come with those little cards saying 'Do not use power adaptors with this card!'? (that could just be mine and my friend's - that sums up my total experience with GPUs :p)

Ok, to sum it up, my system is :

4GB of 1700MhZ DDR3(O.C'd)
Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P Mobo
Phenom II X4 955 Blackedition (@3.6, no voltages raised)
Antec 1200, 6 120mm fans and 1 200mm fan (all with LED's)
Zalman CNPS9900 LED cooler
1 Samsung Spinpoint F1 500gb
1 Seagate 320gb
+ a random DVDRW Drive (Uses IDE connection still.. xD)
Thermaltake Purepower 550W

Would my PSU cope with a 5870, or a GTX480? ( There is a guy on ebay giving me a really good deal for a galaxy GX 480 for $450 Brand new)

I wouldn't go with a Thermaltake power supply. I'd look for a Corsair, PC Power and Cooling or Seasonic power supply
Also, if it were me I'd go for a 5870 anyway because of the lower power consumption.

Go with the 5870, you can get it for $400 or less new in box from trusted retailers and it has about the same performance and uses considerably less power. As for the power, I'd say a 5870 would work, GTX480 might be pushing it (they use over 200W) but all I can say is try it and see. I doubt overloading your PSU will hurt your components, if anything the PSU will just shut down. If this is the case buy a new PSU.

For reference, I bought a Radeon X1600Pro probably 4 years ago when I still had an old HP system with AGP. It had a 200W PSU and an AthlonXP processor, 2 hard drives, 2 optical drives, a TV tuner, modem, FireWire card, and a floppy drive. Already the PSU was probably pushed to its limit, but I stuck my Radeon in there and it worked fine. I did buy a new PSU but it didn't fit the case so I just used the old one. It ran fine for 2 years on this setup and then I took the card out for another PC (the 200W PSU is still fine).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom