Computer Starts up, monitor won't turn on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fox22

Solid State Member
I just built my first PC and put it together, I believe everything is connected correctly as I followed the manuals.

The computer turns on, all fans are going, powersupply, graphics card, optical drive, hard drive, they are all running. I connected my monitor to with the blue monitor cables but the monitor light just keeps blinking meaning its in stand-by mode. I have a usb keuyboard connected, the keyboard was turned on for a bit because the keys light up, then when i pressed keys nothing happened on the monitor. Now the keyboard doesnt go on.

I also dont have anything plugged into the back of my graphics card, I dont know what those two red connectors do.

Any ideas?

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
CPU: AMD Phenom ii X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz
RAM: G. Skill Ripjaw Series 4GB DDR3 RAM 1600
Video Card: XFX HD-585X-ZAFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
Power Supply: OCZ Fatal1ty 550W
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6402AAEX 640GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6

Do you have your monitor PLUGGED into the graphics card?? There are 2 DVI ports, 1 hdmi and 1 DisplayPort

Do you have the 2 x 6pin power cords attached?

No i don't have my monitor plugged into the graphics card, because i dont have anything that will connect to those 2 DVI ports on the back of the graphics card.

And yes, I have the two 6 pin cords attached to the graphics card. The fan is also spinning on the graphics card.

I think i may need a better monitor? I planned on purchasing one with this build, haven't done it yet tho.

Alright just found a connector to convert DVI to my regular blue monitor connector... and i now have screen on my monitor.

You need the DVI to AGP converter.

dvivgaadapt.jpg

It is provided with your graphic card.

That is why the monitor is not detected. When installing a dedicated card, as you, your onboard video will be switched to your card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom