Processor and Thermal Putty

Status
Not open for further replies.
sempron and athlon64 are now coming with thermal death protection, just like p-4's, they will not die if heat sink removed. simply will shut down the pc.

as if you put pressure on heatsink and makes ur cpu working, means that it is missing the thermal compund, this feature of thermal material sensibg is coming from athlon xp's.

you have to get it off and clean both cpu and heatsink with isopropyl alcohol. and re-apply some fresh thermal material.

and do not play with cpu/heatsink in future. you must have read on the box. "this product is intended to be professionaly installed".

I hate those little v-bars on heatsinks. I always bend then a little to make them go on more easily (and to keep me from worrying about crushing the chip). :) As long as the HS is snug up against the chip with enough compound to cover the core, it's fine. Doesn't have to cold-weld to the processor to function. :freak:

Some chipsets make processors run hotter, btw. Still, that's a bit high.

I'm having a similar problem with my AMD XP 3200. It hovers at 79C under normal use. I think either the heat-prob is faulty, or my diag program is faulty, as it says the chip is at 79C when I boot up, and then steadily stays between 76 and 82 throughout the day.

It hovers at 79C under normal use. I think either the heat-prob is faulty, or my diag program is faulty, as it says the chip is at 79C when I boot up, and then steadily stays between 76 and 82 throughout the day.
Good god man those are HIGH HIGH HIGH temps. Have you checked your BIOS and see what the temperature readings in there are to confirm if your program is wrong? Because those are CPU Frying temps right there.

BTW: Shoobie....just stop argueing with that guy in the v-chip thread. It's pointless and that thread needs to be gone so other people can get help

Called my friend and he said his neighbor was helping him out. I told him to take the heat sink off and properly apply some compound because his processor is running too hot and he just said "Oh well, I can't take it off." His chip will probly be fried in a month. I warned him :p.

"Oh well, I can't take it off." His chip will probly be fried in a month. I warned him :p
lol yup, you warned him. Let us know if it indeed does get fried :D

ShoobieRat said:
I'm having a similar problem with my AMD XP 3200. It hovers at 79C under normal use. I think either the heat-prob is faulty, or my diag program is faulty, as it says the chip is at 79C when I boot up, and then steadily stays between 76 and 82 throughout the day.

The death of a 3200 is 85C your very close to that frying.

Good lord, I just found out that he didn't even use thermal putty, just some putty that he found. :O

ahahaha rofl... i was wondering why u were calling it thermal putty... please tell ur friend to get his hands on some arctic silver 5 and put a rice grain size of that stuff on top of his cpu and then just put the heatsink and fan and clamp it down... shud help his temperatures DRASTICALLY lol

blaisadam said:
My friend built a computer with an AMD Sempron 2600+ and does not know what he is doing. He got the computer running but after a while the heatsink/fan combo fell off the processor because he just put putty on and stuck it on the processor, and the heatsink crushed some pieces of the fan. We put the fan back together with some plastic model cement, and put the heatsink back onto the processor (this time the right way with the latches). The fan is working fine now but the computer won't run for him unless he puts pressure on the heatsink. I think that it's because there isn't enough thermal compound and the processor is getting too hot. I went into the BIOS and the motherboard sensor said that the processor is running at 75 decrees Celsius. I'm no expert but this seems way too high. The heatsink is on the processor very tight and he can't even seem to get it off now to apply the thermal compound.

May this be a lesson to newbies: if you don't know how, then get someone who does to do it for you. :D
LOL.gif

OMG!!!! Looks like the word STUPID has a new definition is the english dictionary.
STUPID
adj. stu·pid·er, stu·pid·est
1. Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.
2. Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes.
3. Marked by a lack of intelligence or care; foolish or careless: a stupid mistake.
4. Blaisadam's friend who thinks he know computers.

Harper man, your a jerk. Did you not read the whole thread? Someone was already a jerk and was immediately shut down. So why you gotta recant and be a jerk of equal or greater proportions? Your definition of stupidity also does nothing to help him with his question. Like was said earlier, you were a n00b at on point and prolly did some equally stupid stuff that would warrant a definition of stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom