Can't figure out which graphics card to get

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolguy

Baseband Member
I am stuck between the 5830, an already overclocked 5770, or anything within that cost field that would give me the best graphics. I heard the 4890 and some of the similarly costing ones can preform better. Also I was wondering what is hybrid crossfire, does it basically take the onboard graphics card and make it help the offboard one. For example a a 4290 and a 5830 (or whatever). Or is it only for that series 4XXX like with regular crossfire.

Hey, i'm having the same problem, so i'll fill you in from what i've learnt so far.

The 4890 is a little bit faster than the 5770 but the 5770 offers more features like eyefinity (being able to run a game/application across 3 screen with one graphics card) and supports dx11 but is a little slower than the 4890. The 5830 is around 15% cheaper than the 5850 so if your going to buy it just save up and get the 5850 as it will be a BIG performance upgrade, or even go for a bit more and get the 5870, which came out ontop of the GTX 480 on crysis benchmarks and 3dmark by about 2-5fps each time

Hope this helps and welcome to tech forums :D

id go with the 5830 over the 5770 if you can afford it. but Newegg has a sale on the 5770 right now, $148, thats an awesome price, i am tempted to get one to crossfire with my 5870

as a quick note, NEVER pay more money for a factory overclocked graphics card, unless you want it overclocked while keeping the warrenty. other wise, overclock it your self and save your self some extra cash.

Hey, i'm having the same problem, so i'll fill you in from what i've learnt so far.

The 4890 is a little bit faster than the 5770 but the 5770 offers more features like eyefinity (being able to run a game/application across 3 screen with one graphics card) and supports dx11 but is a little slower than the 4890. The 5830 is around 15% cheaper than the 5850 so if your going to buy it just save up and get the 5850 as it will be a BIG performance upgrade, or even go for a bit more and get the 5870, which came out ontop of the GTX 480 on crysis benchmarks and 3dmark by about 2-5fps each time

Hope this helps and welcome to tech forums :D

Interesting, I really doubt I will ever get my hands on 3 screens haha and many games still aren't run in dxll so I guess the 4890 trumps the 5770 for me. However I do plan on using crossfire so still not sure. Also I'll probably try my best to get the 5850 if I cut down on other parts and I might possibly get it, however the 5870 I really doubt I could get unless I get a cheaper processor + mobo + psu. Thanks a lot for the help and good luck to you on picking your card. But if you ever decide can you tell me what you decided =P.

id go with the 5830 over the 5770 if you can afford it. but Newegg has a sale on the 5770 right now, $148, thats an awesome price, i am tempted to get one to crossfire with my 5870

as a quick note, NEVER pay more money for a factory overclocked graphics card, unless you want it overclocked while keeping the warrenty. other wise, overclock it your self and save your self some extra cash.

Yes crossfire just sounds really epic =D. However I really want to know what hybrid crossfire does couldn't really find out what it does. I could afford the 5830 over the 5770 but if they basically do the same thing I could probably save myself about 50 or so bucks which I could use to get some other parts. Also thanks for the warning I was about to spend money on

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125327&cm_re=hd_5770-_-14-125-327-_-Product

when I could have gotten this for much cheaper

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102858&cm_re=hd_5770-_-14-102-858-_-Product
(exluding rebate since rebate is such a scam...lol)

and the 5830 I was looking at was this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125317

and this is the only 4890 on newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150438

Another question (i ask to many lol) Does the brand matter? Gigabyte, sapphire, xfx they all cost different but they have the same specs. Is it just the brand name cost more type of thing or does one brand out preform the other.

So getting a non-overclocked 5770 I could save myself some money compared to the 4890 and the 5830. Also whats the point of overclocking a gpu? I have never done it myself also I haven't done it with ram either so does it make a really big change in performance compared to overclocking a cpu.

I would NOT go with the 4890. You'll regret buying a last-gen card in no time. The 5770 is current gen, so is the 5850/5870. All of the 4xxx cards are outdated and do not support DX11, Eyefinity, or any of the other features that the 5xxx series added. Also, the 4xxx series are a lot more power hungry than the 5xxx cards are.

In general I'd always recommend the latest generation and the 5xxx is a large step ahead of the 4xxx series so I see no reason to buy the 4890. You'll regret it when DX11 games start rolling out and support drops for the older cards. If the 4890 was still worth selling there wouldn't only be one left on Newegg, there's only one left because they're clearing old stock.

I would NOT go with the 4890. You'll regret buying a last-gen card in no time. The 5770 is current gen, so is the 5850/5870. All of the 4xxx cards are outdated and do not support DX11, Eyefinity, or any of the other features that the 5xxx series added. Also, the 4xxx series are a lot more power hungry than the 5xxx cards are.

In general I'd always recommend the latest generation and the 5xxx is a large step ahead of the 4xxx series so I see no reason to buy the 4890. You'll regret it when DX11 games start rolling out and support drops for the older cards. If the 4890 was still worth selling there wouldn't only be one left on Newegg, there's only one left because they're clearing old stock.

Good point, I didn't really think about it like that. I guess the 4XXX series is out of question. So now I have to decide whether to get the 5770 or the 5830 based on the little performance increase I guess I'll stick with the 5770. Also from what Bevan told me and the benchmarks I read online I think I'll skip on the 5830 and go with the 5850 because of the big performance increase, but now I need to find a decent 5850. I really hope brand names don't matter because I'm probably buying the cheapest one ;D. Thanks =].

EDIT: I don't think the 5850 fits in my budget so I'll probably do a little bit more research and get back to you guys with what I decided on, the 5770 or the 5830.

I think there's some sort of architectural difference between the 57xx and 58xx cards. I'd go for the 5830 for that reason, it may work better overclocked than the 5770 would. The 5830 also scores better in many benchmarks.

I think there's some sort of architectural difference between the 57xx and 58xx cards. I'd go for the 5830 for that reason, it may work better overclocked than the 5770 would. The 5830 also scores better in many benchmarks.

Yes I read that the 58XX run on cypress while the 57XX run on juniper, even though I have no idea what that means :tongue:. Now all I need is to save up a bit more or even downgrade some other parts I'm getting.

My build so far
AMD PHENOM II X4 965 BE + ASUS MOTHERBOARD ~ $294.98
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard
Drive -Bare Drive + NZXT M59 case
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner
Newegg.com - ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - CD / DVD Burners

and this was what I was going to get before I made this thread,

SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card + CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

If anyone can help me find better or cheaper parts I would really appreciate it. I have a budget of about $700 but if necessary I could possibly go to around $800 or maybe more. I want to leave the rest of my cash for a screen and a desk where I can put this thing =P.

EDIT: Plus I'm probably going to overclock so I might get the corsair h50 watercooler but I'm still not sure if I can afford it as of yet so I might just not overclock.

I don't see the point of HD5830 when you can get the new Nvidia GF104 based GPU (GTX 460) for the same price

GTX 460 (both the 192bit and 256-bit version) are already out in newegg, and early review is already out
[expreview] GTX 460 768MB & 1GB review - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

Wow looking at those benchmarks I'm really going to forget about the 5830 and go with that. However I was really looking forward to using crossfire one day, haha. Does nvidia have something like that?. Also the mobo I'm planning on getting runs a 4290, if I just turn that off in bios would the nvidia card work fine? Just mixing amd with nvidia freaks me out =P. I like pairing intel with nvidia and ati with amd (even though they are the same company). But still its similarly priced to the 5830, but based on those benchmarks its more on par with the 5850. Interesting that could probably force ati to lower its prices..interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom