GTX465 vs 5850

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, thanks for the info, but I really can't afford a 5970, there 530 brand new and going for 430 used on ebay, I dont really like used cards and I have 400 max budget anyway.

All I want to play is WoW, Modern warfare 2, prototype, saints row 2, grand ages rome.

WIll the card handle most of these games on eyefinity? I have a 22" 1680x1050 and 2 17" 1280x1024. (Im not sure if i can use my 17"'s on the outside and the 22" in the middle, is that possible?)

where are you seeeing a 5970 is $530 brand new?

at any rate, id say a 5830 could do what you want, or even a 5770 ( or 2 )

Hey, sorry about the confusion haha, I mean £530 so like $750.

Yeh I think i might just leave it and stick with the 5870. Just to make sure.

I'd go with the 5850, ATi has this generation won. I have a 5870, it's incredible and runs pretty much anything at full settings (Crysis included as long as we're talking single monitor).

ATi also has Eyefinity, which lets you use multiple monitors. I got a good deal on 3 LCD panels which make a good Eyefinity setup for "surround screen" gaming.

ati didnt really win this round its really ended up as a draw imo. currently the card with the best value per fps you get is the gtx470. hardware cannuck has a full review of all of the current cards. the gtx480 is only like 2 cents more per fps then the hd5870.

^^ By the time Nvidia sold 400,000 DX11 cards ATI had already sold 11 million. I don't see how that can be called anything other than winning this round.

If we have another generation like this one nvidia will likely fall to the third largest gpu manufacturer.

Go with the 5870, it will handle all those games on Eyefinity, but you won't be able to Eyefinity those monitors very well. Eyefinity needs resolution-matched monitors (all monitors must be running the same resolution) so that means all 3 would run 1280x1024 with the 1680x1050 monitor being way stretched out. I have a 1680x1050 and that was my primary monitor before last month. I was planning on getting two more of them for Eyefinity but found a good deal on 1920x1080 Dell st2210's instead. The other thing with Eyefinity is that one monitor HAS TO use DisplayPort, either by supporting DisplayPort input directly or using an active adapter to convert DisplayPort signals to VGA or DVI/HDMI. A passive adapter will not work, because it only tells the port to output DVI signals, it does not convert them. The 5xxx cards can only output two DVI/HDMI/VGA signals at a time and one DisplayPort signal.

I'm using 2x DVI and a DisplayPort to VGA (active adapter, $20) for my setup.

The recommended setup for Eyefinity is 3 identical monitors. The cheapest route would be pick your favorite current monitor and buy 2 more of them, but if it's an older model you're stuck buying refurbished or used and sometimes it's better to just buy some cheaper new monitors (this is what I did as my old HP w2007 isn't made anymore and refurbished ones were around $120, new Dells were $140 with bigger screen and higher res)

Lol! PSU recommendation is 500w for the 5870 so I should be ok with a 550w modular antec one then. Thanks all

well, the pwersupply isnt just for the graphics card, its for everything. some processors use 130 wats, depending on how many fans you have that can be up to another 10 wats, then ur hard drive, optic drive, ram and motherboard all get power from the PSU ( go figure haha ) so id reccoemend a minnimum of 700W powersupply for a 5870.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom