$750 new build before taxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tosen

Beta member
Hello everyone! Im new to the forums and looks like a great one, gonna spend my time on here now.

Well im going to the USA(im from Mexico), and im planing to buy the parts on compusa, since i can't order online, and compusa seems to be the best bet on retail store. Im going to Houston or San Antonio. I heard theres a microcenter in Houston, but on their online site they dont have any processors on sale???

Gonna use it for Gaming>Internet>Office applications(word).

I have a HAF 932 case, an ATI 5850 Twin Frozr II videocard from MSI, mouse,keyboard, OS.

I buy from Compusa(preferred) Microcenter(I dont know 100% if im going to Houston).

I have always used Intel, but im open to the AMD Phenoms II x4 and x6.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes, if the motherboard has the option, such as ASUS Turbo,MSI oc Genie or the one from Gygabyte... if the motherboard doesn't has any automatic overclocking then no.

I have an ATI 5850 Twin Frozr II videocard from MSI, and im buying a second one in 2 years, approx.

My monitor is 1920x1080 LG 32" model 32LH40

-PSU modular IF possible, crossfire ready, and silent(i had an ocz stealth x stream 700 watts, very good psu BUT at load is noisy, and even after i finished gaming the psu didnt want to idle and kept at load noise.

-My max is around $800 with taxes.

-A heatsink fan(no V8 OR V10)

I came up with this build:

CPU(worth to pay $20 more to get the 3.4ghz version?):
CompUSA.com | HDZ955FBGMBOX | AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Quad Core CPU

Motherboard:
CompUSA.com | 890FXA-GD70 | MSI 890FXA-GD70 Motherboard

Memory:
CompUSA.com | TW3X4G1333C9A | Corsair XMS3 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 RAM

Power supply(worth to pay $10 more to get the 850 watts version?):
CompUSA.com | LZ-750 | Kingwin LAZER 750W Power Supply

Hard Drive(worth to pay$10 more to get 750gb version?) :
CompUSA.com | ST3500418AS | Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB Hard Drive

CD/DVD drive:
CompUSA.com | IHAS22406 | Lite-On IHAS22406 Internal DVD Writer

Heatsink(is it good?):
CompUSA.com | RR-920-N520-GP | Cooler Master Hyper N520 CPU Cooler

TOTAL: $690

Notes: I choose that motherboard because it has nice features like 3.u usb and the pci express slots...i can use corssfire both at x16 and even throw a Physx card.

I just noticed it has OC Genite Lite applicable from BIOS, but it also has some buttons on the bottom of the motherboard to crank it up.

Now that i think c3 version of 955 will be enough...siince it will be overclocked by the motherboard to around 3.6 ghz.

no, it isn't worth it.

if you're still willing to spend some more money though, you could get a 6 core.
CompUSA.com | HDT55TFBGRBOX | AMD Phenom II 1055T Six Core Processor

for the same price (not including the rebate from the ram you listed), you should get this set instead.
CompUSA.com | OCZ3G1600LV4GK | OCZ PC3-12800 Gold RAM
runs at a faster 1600mhz with tighter cas8 timings.

Power supply(worth to pay $10 more to get the 850 watts version?):
CompUSA.com | LZ-750 | Kingwin LAZER 750W Power Supply

kingwin isn't exactly known for good psus. i would say skip it, and get this one instead.
CompUSA.com | DA700 | Silverstone Decathlon DA700 ATX 700W Power Supply
same price, fully modular, and it will handle your rig even with dual 5850's just fine.

Hard Drive(worth to pay$10 more to get 750gb version?) :
CompUSA.com | ST3500418AS | Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB Hard Drive

if you want a 500gb, get this one, it's 5 bucks cheaper.
CompUSA.com | WD5000AAKS | Western Digital WD5000AAKS Caviar Blue Hard Drive

is the extra $ worth it for the 750gb? i guess that partly depends on how much space you think you'll need, so it's up to you.

1.- Was checking benchmarks and for gaming a 955 BE seems to do a better job, however the difference in fps is minimal. Im used to download 2gb+ files and at the same time willing to play video games, so a 6 core processor might come in handy there...@2.8 ghz it can be automatically overclocked to around 3.2 with the motherboard I choose.

2.- KK, will change the ram.

3.- Nice psu, will get it.

4.- Is that a good hard drive? if i get that $5 cheaper ram and that $5 cheaper HD it can justify me getting a 6 core processor.

my current pc has a 320 gb and it hardly goes below 100gb.

4.- Is that a good hard drive? if i get that $5 cheaper ram and that $5 cheaper HD it can justify me getting a 6 core processor.

yea that hdd is fine.

i hadn't realized the ram i listed was $5 cheaper lol, but the fact that it is just makes it that much better.

the rest of your build looks good.

Well im buying the pc before this month ends, and these are the new changes I made, I just need an input:

Gonna use it for Gaming>Internet>Office applications(word).

I have a HAF 932 case, an ATI 5850 Twin Frozr II videocard from MSI, mice,keyboard,OS.

Im buying from www.ewiz.com , bought the 5850 from them and everything is perfect.

I have always used Intel, but im open to the AMD Phenoms II x4 and x6.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes, if the motherboard has the option, such as ASUS Turbo,MSI oc Genie or the one from Gygabyte... if the motherboard doesn't has any automatic overclocking then no.

I have an ATI 5850 Twin Frozr II videocard from MSI, and im buying a second one in 2 years, approx.

My monitor is 1920x1080 LG 32" model 32LH40

-PSU modular IF possible, crossfire ready, and silent(i had an ocz stealth x stream 700 watts, very good psu BUT at load is noisy, and even after i finished gaming the psu didnt want to idle and kept at load noise.

-My max is around $750(on cart without counting shipping...shipping to were I live is $90 but it's safe and it arrives in 3 days, I live @ Mexico and this is the best option for me).

-A heatsink fan(no V8 OR V10, they r too big)

Well the build is:

CPU+mobo combo for $329.98
https://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?nam...X6-Six-Core-Processor-1055T-2-8GHz-AM3-Retail

https://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?nam...D-890GX-SATA3-USB-3-0-A-V-GbE-ATX-Motherboard

Memory+Hard Drive combo $169.98
https://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?nam...R3-1600-4GB-2x2GB-CL9-Dual-Channel-Memory-Kit

https://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?nam...-F3-HD103SJ-1TB-SATA2-7200rpm-32MB-Hard-Drive

Power supply $116.99
https://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?nam...-TP-750-Blue-750W-Power-Supply-w-Blue-LED-Fan

Heatsink $29.99
https://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?nam...20-N520-GP-CPU-Fan-For-Intel-LGA1366-AMD-AM2-

Drive $22.74
https://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?nam...W-24B1ST-24X-Internal-DVD-RW-Drive-Black-Bulk

Total: $655.68

Meaning I got an extra $100 to spare on the build.

Besides the build critique, I got a few questions:

Phenom II x4 is better than Phenom II x6 at gaming BUT Phenom II x6 is more futureproof I believe....but my main concern is something about overclock:

1.-Says it got some type of turboboost like Intel but it says it will only turboboost 3 cores?

2.-(relationed to the above question) Isn't that bad for the few games that use 4 cores?

3.-What happens if I do automatic overclock with the motherboard Turvo of ASUS from 2.8ghz to 3.2ghz....will the turboboost temporary increase frequency to 3.4ghz?

4.-About the motherboard I choose...the crossfire does x8/x8 and I found it's only a 1% performance lose over x16/x16...is this true?

5.-[]Will I benefit from sparing those extra $100 on the Crosshair Formula IV? If not where should I?

6.-Is 750 watts overkill for 5850 crossfire in the future or is 650 watts enough(since im overclocking automaticly to 3.4ghz with motherboard) more than enough?

And thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom