Hard drive runs slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT HDD's OR COMPUTERS FOR THAT MATTER........... ITS RAM THAT DEALS WITH SPEED..... hd stores memory.... if its slow, then its either your ram or processor.

DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT HDD's OR COMPUTERS FOR THAT MATTER........... ITS RAM THAT DEALS WITH SPEED..... hd stores memory.... if its slow, then its either your ram or processor.

Child go away, go back and get some milk from your mothers breast, it's feeding time for you. His CPU and RAM are just fine and the speeds are adequate enough, besides you have to cover all basics to help someone troubleshoot. Trying being a phone techie sometime and scream at the customer DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT COMPUTERS!?!. HD's with bad sectors will be slow and it is possible to simpl receive a HD that doesn't perform up to par....hardware has tons of oppurunities to screw up. If your music is skipping when trying to read from that drive then the drive seems to not be able to read then transfer the data quick enough which could be the result of simply a drive not performing at what it should....muchlike it's halfway between completely useless and working. My friends HD is actually very similar to that and gives him troubles regardless that his RAM and CPU is up to par.

Have you tried playing music from your main 30gb and it plays it just fine or what? If music can't play straight from your main drive that you say isn't running slow, then it is indeed something else besides your HD. Also...are you using onboard sound? because sometimes that can be somewhat sketchy. Onboard sound is getting better, but it's still not completely perfect these days. If you aren't using onboard sound and are using a soundcard, have you made sure your onboard sound has been disabled? Have you made sure that anything that's not needed has been disabled?

rofl hahah nubius... funny stuff... newayz back to the orginal thing.. the reason i asked his mobo make n model is perhaps its defective? and its lagging in transferring data? but yes i agree with nubius its more likely the hd than it is the mobo.. get ur hands on another hd (but nother one if u have to.. u can return it later if u need)... and if it doesnt perform better than just return it

The music plays great on the 30gb hd. But if i start a program witch is installed on the 160gb disk my whole computer starts to work slow. I thing the problem is in the PIO mode. In the primary IDE controller device 1 says that the current transfer mode is PIO.

Greetz, i have a simular problem. I have 2 hard drives. 1st is WD 20gb and second WD 40gb. When i copy from 20gb to lets say another hard drive (not 40gb's one), copy speed is cca 15mb/s, but when i copy from 40gb hard, speed is 1-1.5mb/s. And when i play music from 40gb, it's sounds funny. All comp runs very (s)low when i'm using 40gb hard drive. I put DMA if available and formated drive short time ago. Please help!

Hello everyone,

I found this post via a google search. :eek: Since the past two or so days, my PC has been running alot slower. I wasn't sure why at first, because everything was running smoothly for several years.

My computer was originally running 98SE and then I upgraded to WinXP Home Edition, purchased more memory. I have about 320MB RAM, 547MHz. Even had various bigger programs like, Photoshop, Dreamweaver 4, Fireworks 4, Flash MX all installed on the PC including alot of other various programs and it wasn't running as slow as it is now.

I took the Dreamweaver, Fireworks 4 and Flash MX off the PC the other week. I'm just running Photoshop CS now, along with other programs and it was still running ok, except just for the past 2 days....it started acting up.

I went and got Ad Aware SE Pro, WinTools Pro, and Registery Mechanic 4 and ran them all. I have been running AdAware almost every 30 minutes, if anything comes up, I delete it. Just a while ago, I ran WinTools Pro and it showed 600 some bad registery keys and such, deleted all them. Still the same thing. Just ran Registery Mechanic 4 and found about 70 things. Deleted all them...and everything seems to be ok now.

I don't know if all of that had been contributing to it or not, but it sure helped and the PC seems to be back to normal. Maybe to the original topic author, try getting those programs and running them if you haven't already. :) Just thought I'd add my 2cents, being that's all I have left after buying all them programs lol! Anyways...I hope you get it straightened out and wish ya the best. Later....

Twisted

P.S. Almost forgot, I have three IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers:
screenshotofIDE.gif

The first two seem to be set just as the guy's above, but the very last one is set for PIO or whatever. Should I maybe change his settings the same as first two?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom