My computer should it be upgraded or leave it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kraig6412

Baseband Member
Im a gamer and a multitasker right now my rig is

cpu : amd phenom 9600 quad core 2.3ghz
mobo: gigabyte ga-ma78g-ds3h
ram: ddr2 2g x2
gpu: geforce 9600gt 512mb
seagate barcudda

I would say get a new graphics card, some ram and at most, get the right cooling and overclock the **** out of it. Thats a solid PC I mean look at mine I wish I had a phenom. If you really felt like it though I'd say just build a whole new rig.

IMO

Here's your CPU compatibility list:
GA-MA78G-DS3H (rev. 1.0) - GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - CPU Support List

Outside of the Phenom II X6 1090T, Phenom II X6 1055T, Phenom X4 9950, and Phenom X4 9850 it can run any AM2, AM2+, and AM3 chip out there but may require a BIOS update.

4GB of RAM should handle anything going unless you are into serious video editing. I have 4GB and only use half when playing BFBC2. plus, unless you are running a 64-bit OS you can't use more than 3.5GB (including video card memory).

Your video card is the sticking point for your system. Depending on how deep your pockets are and what PSU you have you can really crank your system up with a better one. Your current card ranks #34 on the http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/graphics-performance-list-212331/ .

If you aren't worried about DX11, the 4850 is still a kicking card that is no longer very expensive:
Newegg.com - XFX HD-485X-ZNFC Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
$115, 450W

The 4870 is almost a steal nowadays, but still no DX11:
Newegg.com - XFX HD-487A-ZWFC Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
$140, 450W

The 5770 offers basically the same performance as the 4870 but supports DX11:
Newegg.com - XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
$170 (this models vents to the outside of the case, a big plus), 450W

The 58xx line are even better performers, but they are all $230+ (for XFX... can't beat a lifetime warranty).

Lol the funny thing is i was wanting to already upgrade my gpu but i didn't know about the processor its clocked at 2.4 ghz and i didn't think that was fast enough. i can't play bfbc2 only on low settings med to high i get about 30 fps and out of curiousty i have 32bit win7 would it be a good idea to go to 64bit?

out of curiousty i have 32bit win7 would it be a good idea to go to 64bit?
Yes. 32-bit is limited to 3.5GB of RAM. It can only address that much, now matter how much is in your system. Win7 64-bit can handle a ridiculously high amount (like 128GB), so you want 64-bit if you plan on using 4GB or more RAM.

BC2 loves quad cores, period. I have a 4200+ X2 (running at stock 2.2GHz... which is much slower than you 2.4GHz as mine is a couple of generations older than yours) and it can play it, but it keeps my CPU maxed out the entire time. And that's with my GTX 260 (and it slightly overclocked). The Phenom IIs are better processors that the original Phenoms. You have a 9600, not one of the xx50 models, so you have the errata bug. It may never cause you any problems as it only comes into play in very specific situations (like when using sub-zero cooling), but you never know.

Also, check your ping in BC2. The new patch has helped mine out, but I was getting insane ping levels and spikes... up to 1000+ a few times. Trying to play with a ping of 500 or more is like watching a bad slideshow. :(

i never tried it online only single player and its certain games too i can play cod4 in high graphics and i average between 60 to 75. I also got it wrong i have a 9800gt not a 9600gt i wanted to upgrade and go to a ati like the 5870 not the expensive saphire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom