Looking for Laptop for Design, $600 budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rakie

In Runtime
Looking for a laptop for design in SolidWorks. I will not (so I've been told) be rendering anything ~ Just doing the 3d Design and sending the file to a stronger PC to render.

I'm going to be learning Solidworks, need a laptop so I can take my work home with me.

Budget is around $600. From what I've been told, netbooks are capable of running SolidWorks for the projects I'll be doing... But I figure why buy a netbook when I can grab a nice laptop for not much more.

I'm not familiar with SlidWorks, but Macs are normally the best in the design industry. What screen size are you looking for?

I'm not familiar with SlidWorks, but Macs are normally the best in the design industry. What screen size are you looking for?

I already have Mac's. Solid Works is industry standard as well as the design program that is used exclusively by the company I work for (its for Windows only).

Screen size isn't really too relevant, I'll be plugged into 22-26" wide screen LCD's from the laptop. I just need a portable computer I can lug around between home and work.

Basically I need a good "bang for the buck" system. Good processing (2.0 Dual Core is where I'm aiming for a minimum) as well as 3g Min ram, and some form of GPU, doesn't have to be a gaming PC but it needs a little more than an integrated chip can do.

You won't find a dedicated GPU at your price range, unless you want something more than the Intel crap.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of.. I'm not a laptop guy, all my searching resulted in not too much.

I'll probably go with this though ~ Newegg.com - SONY VAIO E Series VPCEE23FX/BI NoteBook AMD Athlon II Dual-Core P320(2.10GHz) 15.5" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 320GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250

It hits all the marks without being overly pricey.

I know it's a little more pricey ($799) but how about the entry level laptop from Alienware? The M11x? I'm prety sure it could handle running solidworks (and probably render pretty well too!).

That is for gaming, Snow. I don't think he needs that beefy of a laptop. The screen size might be a factor as well.

^You don't even know what solid works is, yet youre saying he doesn't need it that beefy..

Solid works is one of the top used 3d CADD programs.... It can easily eat up cycles.

Now to the OP.. By render, do you mean run simulations on designs to see stress and such, or are you just doing drawing? By reading "a netbook can run your work", I'm assuming the latter.

Budgets tight, but egg has This:
Newegg.com - TOSHIBA Satellite L675D-S7013 NoteBook AMD Athlon II Dual-Core P320(2.10GHz) 17.3" 4GB Memory 320GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250
@$599 but its 17.5" screen.
or for basically $15 more, free shipping... This
Newegg.com - SONY VAIO E Series VPCEE23FX/BI NoteBook AMD Athlon II Dual-Core P320(2.10GHz) 15.5" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 320GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250
With a 15.5" screen.

A $700 budget gets even better... But is it nessesary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom