Booting up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echo Kilo

Baseband Member
Hello folks,

I have 2 partitions on my hard drive with Windows 98 on the first one and a partial install of Windows 2000 on the second.

When I say partial, I mean that it didn't complete the Windows 2000 install. But now....it won't boot up Windows 98 or 2000. When I try to boot, It says NTLDR missing so I know it's trying to boot up 2000.

I just want to boot up into windows 98 so I tried fdisk /mbr and it did something, but I still get NTLDR missing and can't boot into Windows 98.

How can I have it see my Windows 98 partition and boot into it!

Any help is appreciated!

Echo Kilo said:
Hello folks,

I have 2 partitions on my hard drive with Windows 98 on the first one and a partial install of Windows 2000 on the second.

When I say partial, I mean that it didn't complete the Windows 2000 install. But now....it won't boot up Windows 98 or 2000. When I try to boot, It says NTLDR missing so I know it's trying to boot up 2000.

I just want to boot up into windows 98 so I tried fdisk /mbr and it did something, but I still get NTLDR missing and can't boot into Windows 98.

How can I have it see my Windows 98 partition and boot into it!

Any help is appreciated!

boot to your 2000 and start over, should get you there

I guess I wasn't clear. I can't boot at all. Windows 98 or 2000.

I have 2 partitions and and need to boot into Windows 98, but it tries to load the incomplete install of 2000 on Partition two.

Any help is appreciated!

i had xp pro on my computer along wiv 98se, and it would give me the option of which one i wanted to use. doesn't it have that? and u can select 98?

also, if u dont use 2000, why not format your hard drive? and just use 98.

I think you should boot your computer from a start up diskette, and at the prompt use the fidisk command. Then delete your windows 2000 partition, and format it. Make sure your windows 98se is set to active partition. And if that doesn't help I would suggest reformating your entire hard drive to create a fresh allocation table, and try to install for the dual boot again.

I hope this helps :eek:

Also check google for the NTLDR error. You can fix it, but u said it didn't finish installation so yur better off with Re-installing 98 or re-install both OS without formatting. U can try the repair option in 2000 setup.

TheMajor said:
Also check google for the NTLDR error. You can fix it, but u said it didn't finish installation so yur better off with Re-installing 98 or re-install both OS without formatting. U can try the repair option in 2000 setup.

that just means there is no OS on the nt partition

this usually happen when an os didn't finish installing

boot from Cd, make sure you press a key to boot from cd (that is what make that error come up) delete that 2000 partition and reinstall it

the nt partion is taking priority over the 98 one

so derrmc advice will fix your problem

it can have multiple different causes. It could be a boot.ini error/misconfiguration or corrupted bootsector. It can be anything. It does not mean there's no OS.

Deleting the 2000 partition may help, though.

just trust me on this. I done this a thousand times

it happens when you don't completely install an nt system properly (window 2000 or XP)

I learned how to work on computers from trial and error in my early days

and in the early days, I did this stunt about a thousand times

I also had lot of people who brought me a computer that they had incorrectly install xp. and the first thing you will get is that NTLDR error when you turn on the computer.

shoot it happen to me, yesterday while I installing XP media center edition on this computer.

I bought a 40 gig harddrive for my OS (i am tossing the 10 gig). I forgot on the Promise raid card that i have you had remove your data drive (2 partitions on it) while installing your OS or your OS drive will be a drive like G ( that happen to me b4 and I had to reinstall again as I don't like a G operating sys drive)

so i stopped from installing XP while I was in the middle of it. I turn it off and unhook my 200 gig data drive

I booted up. and i promply got that error (on the MCE5in1 XP disc, it contain 5 different version of Windows XP,
XR pro Retail,
XP home retail,
XP Professional VLK,
Media Center Edition
XP Tablet Pc Edition)

the reason I got this error is , on this particular cd, you have to hit a key to boot from cd on 2 different occasin, and I didn't realize that at first (you did at the regular time, then you pick which of the five version of XP that you want, then you have to do it again)

after I figure that that out I reinstalled xp after deleting the previous not finished install of XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom