New Mobo Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

sayaprayer

In Runtime
New Mobo Display Problems

I just put a new mobo and cpu into my PC. Everything turned on ok except I have no video. I have a ati 9800 pro. there is no on board video on my mobo. The CD drives open, the hard drive LED flickers. But I just can't see anything ; ; What can I do ><;

PC Specs
3.0Ghz P4
512mb DDR Ram
MSI 865PE Neo2-V Mobo
Ati Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb

I took it completely out and put it back in and still nothing. The monitor does work I just used it earlier on another PC. when installing a new mobo and cpu is there anything i should be checking?

When installing a new mobo and CPU. The first thing you should do on the motherboard is Clear the CMOS using the Jumpers. This ensures you start off with the fresh default BIOS. It also requires you do a complete format of your HD when you install a major component like that. Now when you say you're getting no video, are you getting a POST beep at all? Does your computer power up, but you hear no beeps, no video, no nothing except fans spinning and power running through it? If this is the case it's either your CPU needs to be reseated or possibly your RAM. Either of those unproperly seated will result in that problem. First off I'd simply just jump the CMOS and see if that clears up your problem. You'd be surprised how many times something as simple as that can clear it up. If that doesn't work then try reseating the RAM. If that doesn't work then try reseating the CPU. That's about all I can suggest.

I tried two different video cards. Also I tried different RAM. I don't have any sounds, but the only speaker hooked up is the tiny one inside the case. The CD drives open and close ok. After I reset the CMOS I need to reformat my HD? Does it have to be done? I still have stuff on there I need lol.

no no no you don't format your HD after simply clearing the CMOS I was telling you when you add a new motherboard you need to format your drive. But before you even get to formatting you need to clear the CMOS of the board. In otherwords, put in the board, clear the CMOS, boot it up and go straight to formatting. So back up the stuff you need. The speaker I'm talking about is the one inside the case, you need to listen for any beeps as this is it's troubleshooting method to help you identify what is wrong.

1. Install mobo
2. Clear CMOS
3. Format Drive

the formatting of the drive isn't because of the CMOS clearing but rather you are making a major hardware change and windows has the drivers from the previous motherboard so you will get TONS of errors

ok, i see. I'm gonna try and get my old mobo working and get my data off my HD's that i need. Then Ill start from scratch with the new mobo. Is it possible to hook a HD up to another PC as a slave drive to get the data off it? I'm just asking incase my old mobo doesn't want to work, I can use my second PC.

You will not have any problems using another system to access the data on the HDD (as long as the format is supported).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom