Comp freeze doing Game play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Argilus

In Runtime
Comp freeze during Game play

My computer has been recently locking up doing some game play. This is that of the game locking up with silent clicks followed with a beep in my tower. I check to see if any other programs are running while playing my games but there isn't any programs running.

Dark Age of Camelot is my most played game and it seems to be the most common to be locking up. And it's not doing a few hours into the game it's right away or sometimes a few mins. It comes and goes and is rather annoying.

My friend did do some tweaks to my computer but it was long before this started happening. Any suggestions or more information needed? Just ask and I'll lay it down in another post.

What are you cpu temps @ load?... I know some motherbaords have a default lockup when the cpu reaches a certain temp. On some I think its at 60C...

Basically I've been Playin Dark Age of Camelot: Trials of Atlantis with New Frontiers . And my comp has been locking up during game play. For instance, I log in, and just at random times it locks up, but very frequent, follow with some loading in the tower and a beep.

use motherboard monitor 5 and get your temps. We need to know that in order to better help you. Also SiSoftware sandra will read temps under the motherboard information section

Nubius, or anyone else, how accurate is the SiSoftware Sandra for reading temperatures? I'm having some similar problems as Argilus with a couple games.

Alright, went through the tests, and checked a few times during game play and the highest I got was 58 degrees C. It didn't start doing this untill a while ago, like last month, I just figured I installed to many games prior, which really wasnt the case.

58C is pretty hot and if you're checking after gameplay it could have even cooled a bit until you checked it. So your CPU could easily be hitting 65 and possibly your shutoff temp is 65 degrees. Try reseating your heatsink and processor, sometimes if you seat it better it'll make better contact resulting in lower temps. Also I'd suggest possibly looking into an aftermarket heatsink and better fan.

Nubius, or anyone else, how accurate is the SiSoftware Sandra for reading temperatures?

I find that it works pretty good. On my MSI board the program that came with MSI Called CoreCenter would read the temps about 4 degrees higher than SiSoftware Sandra...BUT...SiSoftware Sandra was EXACT with my BIOS temp readings so I assumed SiSoftware Sandra was more precise, but went by the corecenter temps because it's better to assume your temps are higher and try to lower them than it is to assume your temps are low and fine.

I've also used the program on my ABit board which gives me the exact readings in the BIOS and with Motherboard Monitor 5 so IMO and experience I believe SiSoftware Sandra delivers VERY accurate temperatures. I have not yet seen it display a temp that was different from my BIOS so it's very good in my opinion.

Nubius said:
Try reseating your heatsink and processor, sometimes if you seat it better it'll make better contact resulting in lower temps.

Would go to a techie place or FAQ but might as well ask while I'm here ( as if I had to walk anywhere else on the net?!)

How do I restest my heatsink and processor?

gotta pop the clip off the socket notches usually using a flathead screwdriver on the little notch that's generally provided one on specific side. Generally the side near the PSU I believe. Then when you get the heatsink off, theres a lever on the socket that you pull up. When you put the CPU back in remember, it should just easily slide into the socket and drop into place. You'll feel a little resistance when pushing the lever back down, but don't worry that's normal. Just make sure the CPU is indeed in there or you'll bend the pins

Alright, came to a solution. Going to do as follows;

Buy Quicksilver,which I think is like $10 some places. Taking off my heatsink fan to the processor. Taking off like tablet, then applying the drop or so of quick silver to processor backing, or the fan or whatever I remove the tablet from, then I can restick the tab back on and put it all back together.

sound like a plan? Let me know if I need any other instruction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom