HP update software killed my laptop....maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.

echinacea

Beta member
ok, well not exactly killed but I have an HP pavilion DV4Tse1300 laptop I bought this time last year. Everything was fine until earlier this year when I let HP do its thing.

I have a mobile broadband adapter in it connected to an AT&T account so I can connect to the net anywhere with it. What I also did was enable automatic updates. The microsoft updates are fine....my problem is with HP. They also have a lot of HP software installed on these laptops and HP dsitributed drivers for them.

so, one day i let the microsoft updates run, then the norton updates run and everything was cool.....then i noticed that the HP update had a driver for the broadband adapter so I knew that would prolly require a reboot.

So i let it download and run then when it reboots and comes back up it says driver install failed. When I check it it says "driver not intended for this platform". To make a long story short i can no longer use my internal mobile broadband modem because the driver is FUBAR. Since I bought 3 years hardware support I call HP. Without needlessly bashing their tech support in the end:
A) i cannot understand what they are saying most of the time
B) they have no technical skills and are just reading from a rehearsed script.

Each time I give them some info they put me on hold while they research it then come back and try again.

In the end the only solution they have is to wipe the hard drive and reinstall from their image CDs.

So the mechanics of the problem is that the modem is listed in device manager as COM<insert latest number here>. If I right click and say update driver, it finds the executable and tries to reinstall then gives the same error prompt (while it is doing this it is listing the device as "hp un2400 mobile broadband module"....then when the error comes up it is "qualcomm hs-usb qdloader" in the error panel and when device manager refreshes it is shown as COM<and then it increments the previous number by one>

I have gone to the HP website and downloaded previous versions of the driver (what i think happened was maybe a mishap in which the driver was incorrectly listed as supporting my OS which is vista ultimate 64bit) and the same thing happens and still increments the COM number.

How would i reset the com number? Does anyone have any idea how i can get this **** thing installed?

My problem is that I payed for onsite support....but to save money they wont send onsite support out until you have done everything their phone support people tell you....which is not an applicable solution. I assumed SOMEONE at HP has the technical knowhow to troubleshoot this....i just cant connect to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom