Beta member
Hey everyone,
I recently my new computer with these basic specs:

eVGA nForce 750i SLI motherboard
Intel C2Q Q8300 (NOT OC)
4GB OCZ SLI-Ready RAM @ correct timings and voltages
eVGA 9800GT PCI-E (latest drivers)
BFG 450 Watt PS

I had frequent problems with Windows 7 launching startup repair on a cold start and telling me "ntoskrnl.exe" was corrupt or missing and the "solution" being a system restore. So I tested my hard drive with SeaTools and it came out clean, did several fresh installs of Win7 and nothing fixed it. Also, sometimes when it would boot up the resolution of the screen was reset and in device manager it said that one of the nvidia drivers had stopped responding, but a reboot and it would be fine. So i eventually ran some tests with Memtest and with both sticks in, I had a couple of errors. I did some tests with the sticks individually and after 3 or so passes on each, there were no errors. I already RMA'd my RAM and am awaiting a replacement as apparently they are on "backorder" but my question is, is my RAM the problem or is it something else? i was thinking maybe the mobo is the problem seeing as it is recertified, or the power supply not being powerful enough (Dual 12V rails, but only 18 amps on each rail..). Thanks.

The 9800GT needs at least 26A total on the +12V rail(s). I'm not sure whether that figure is for the card itself, or just the recommended amperage for the PSU if you're using a 9800GT.
But, if it's the former, then I'm guessing that a too-weak PSU could be the problem. I would have thought 450W would be about right, though.

But would an underpowered PSU cause the mentioned problems? Like having errors in Memtest?

Oh and I forgot to mention, while I was testing the RAM I had the sticks in Slot 1 and Slot 3 like recommended by eVGA and I got 2 errors in memtest. To rule out faulty DIMMS, I switched the sticks to Slot 0 and Slot 2, and got 2 errors in the exact same place in Memtest (Test #6 I believe) but on a later pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom