15,000 RPM HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
there you go ;)

if you do end up getting one, lemme know what you think of it. like i said if i were tog et one id just put my OS and games on it, cause those are the only things that would matter to me. other than that i have over 2tbs of videos ( shows, movies and music videos ).

also, this technology is brand new, this is the first and only drives ( the 3 different versions of the hdd ) that have this kind of technology, im expecting by the end of the year, if not sooner, this to be more of an industry standard. so hopefully we will see 1tb+ hdd with this same technology.

IMO the Momentous XT isn't worth it, it has abysmal random read and write speeds compared to any decent SSD which means it will never offer the incredible improvement in responsiveness that makes SSDs worth the money. If you want a fast drive I would spend a bit extra and get a Sandforce or Intel SSD.

if you can go with the Seagate Momentus hybrid drive, it will smash the crap out of any hard drive. the only thing that is faster than it is a SSD ( and only just faster ) it performs like a SDD with the price and capacity of a Hard drive. it does this by having a 6 gig cache, instead of a 32mb cache that other hard drive have.

SSDs are still considerably faster than the Momentus XT where it counts.

23007.png

23008.png

they are also 5 times more expensive for the same capacity, im not saying they are a replacement to SSDs, im just saying they are an alternative.

they are also 5 times more expensive for the same capacity, im not saying they are a replacement to SSDs, im just saying they are an alternative.

I didn't have a problem paying the price to get a SSD but I couldn't justify having one of these on a desktop. It makes a bit of sense on laptop where you are limited to one drive and need both speed and capacity but on a desktop a small SSD for your OS and key programs plus a larger mechanical drive for everything else would deliver much better results.

well, by those benchies they are not really an alternative to an ssd, they are an alternative to like a velo. The ssd blows it out of the water and is in a whole different performance range.
Personally i agree with puddle. A small capacity ssd, say 32/40/60 (60 is not really needed, but if you want to put more stuff on it) and a larger either 500gb or 1tb drive for storage etc.

i totally agree with you, that is the ideal setup for a desktop, a small SSD for your OS and maybe a game or 2, and then a standard magnetic high capacity hard drive for everything else. but i still say, if you dont want to spend that amount of money, this is a good alternative and will yield better results than a 10k+ rpm hard drive.

you can probably find cheaper prices at newegg. Because i used a canadian site. But:

Seagate Momentus XT 250GB Solid State Hybrid
$114 - decent speed, but quite far behind an ssd. More capacity tho, how ever still requires a storage drive if you have any sort of media collection or games/programs installed. Personally i dont know many that can make it by without at least 500gb I'll use the 500gb drive from the next option which is $65.38
total for this route is $179.44

or

Intel X25-V 40GB SSD
$144.99 - very fast drive, with lower capacity, only for os and highly used programs. Requires a storage drive soo...

Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB

Total for this route is 210.37 again this is a canadian site.

For $30 more you get much better performance.

You can decide what route you would like to take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom