Components selection ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

t9alejandro

Beta member
I would like to build my first gaming rig and wanted to list the current components that i have chosen. Can you please look over them and maybe see if i need to make some changes? Thanks a bunch

Case : Silverstone Raven 2
MoBo: Asus P6X58D-E
CPU: Intel i950
Video Card: NVIDEA 480 GTX 1536mb superclocked
Power Supply: OCZ Silencer MK II 750 watts
RAM: Kingston Hyper X 3GB 2333
DVD burner: Plexor PX-850 SA-SW
Harddrive: Seagate Constellation ES ST31000524NS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb

This is what i got so far. Is there any bottle necking or other problems that you might see. Thanks for all the help

For CPU I assume you meant i7-950? In which case, don't go for it. Get the i7-920 or -930 instead. There's very little difference, and you can make up that difference for free with inexpert and easy overclocking. Saves several hundred dollars, IIRC.

Same goes for that superclocked GTX480. Get the normal version and overlcock it yourself with EVGA Precision for free.

Instead of the Seagate hard drive, get a Samsung Spinpoint F3. Slightly cheaper and slightly faster.

You'll want to go for 6GB of RAM, 3GB is decent but it's worth going for 6GB.

Other stuff looks good. Are you planning on overclocking at all? Even if not, it's worth getting a decent aftermarket cooler for your CPU, say $50.

For CPU I assume you meant i7-950? In which case, don't go for it. Get the i7-920 or -930 instead. There's very little difference, and you can make up that difference for free with inexpert and easy overclocking. Saves several hundred dollars, IIRC.

Same goes for that superclocked GTX480. Get the normal version and overlcock it yourself with EVGA Precision for free.

Instead of the Seagate hard drive, get a Samsung Spinpoint F3. Slightly cheaper and slightly faster.

You'll want to go for 6GB of RAM, 3GB is decent but it's worth going for 6GB.

Other stuff looks good. Are you planning on overclocking at all? Even if not, it's worth getting a decent aftermarket cooler for your CPU, say $50.

Yes i ment i7-950 hehe. So here's the thing. I am able to get the 950 for half the price new. Do i still wanna go for the i920 or 930 ?
Thanks for the advice on the DVD burner. And your right i will prolly go with 3GBx2 or a single 6GB.

If I could get the 950 for 1/2 price I would go for it.

You don't want to go with a single 6GB or a 3GBx2. You want to go with either (3x2GB), (3x1GB), (6x2GB) or a (6x1GB). Your best all around option is the (3x2GB).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom