CPU seems to be running hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kieyen

Solid State Member
My new build seems to be running hot at idle. In the BIOS it says 40 C but when I look at the temp using Speccy or Core Temp its idle at 25 C. Looking at Speccy and Core Temp when at load it only reaches 45 C. I've taken the heatsink (Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm SSO CPU Cooler.) off twice and replaced the thermal compound just to be sure I applied it correctly and the temps haven't changed. Anyone have any suggestions? Could the BIOS temp be incorrect? Am I just dumb? Haha

CPU: Running an AMD Phenom II X6 1055
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO

Ive heard that the CPU must reach a certain temperature to idle. Is the Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm SSO CPU Cooler and after market cooler or did it come with the CPU?

I don't see what the problem is. A good avergae temp at load is mid 40s and you're hitting 45 tops and 25 idle?
I wish I had those temps.

40 in the BIOS is a good temp, and is a factor of things like ambient temp, case flow, and other components.

But I'd be happy with 40 idle, and honestly, its load thats the more important number.

What got me asking the questing was that I saw that the CPU I have can got up to 55 C to 65 C and I wasn't sure if it was the BIOS temp reading of 40 that I should be worried about or if it would be the programs like Speccy and the temp it is showing that I should go off of.

@Patonb: Thanks, I think I see more of what the CPU temp in the BIOS is showing me now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom