CPU cooler for i7 930 in Antec 900

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalcProgrammer1

Fully Optimized
I've been using my build for almost 2 months now with the stock cooler but soon I'll have the money to get an aftermarket cooler. I really do need one as my chip has been running around 70C pretty much nonstop for that time as I've been running Folding@Home SMP on it.

I want an air cooler or self-contained unit, don't have the money for a water cooling setup nor do I need to water cool my GPU. The biggest issue is size, my case is an Antec Nine Hundred and I have a side mounted fan that I don't want to remove, so I need something that will not interfere with it.

I have never bought an aftermarket cooler before so I'm a complete noob on the subject. I know some coolers can be very large and heavy, I plan to take this computer back and forth from home to college a lot and don't want something too fragile or stressful on the motherboard if this is an issue. Last, I want something that uses bolts or screws or some other solid mount as opposed to the cheap clip system that the stock cooler has.

What are your recommendations? I would like to be able to exceed 4GHz on this cooler. Right now I'm at 3.1, if I go to 3.2 it gets up around 75C and I don't like running that hot.

I would just get the corsair h50. It is water, but a completely closed loop. It is lighter than most air coolers , and really really easy to work with. It has a back retention plate and sits on as solid as you could want. Beauty of the h50 is you get to do the cooling where it is best for you, rather than directly over the cpu as you would with an air cooler.

I've really been considering the H50 but have heard mixed reviews. I'll probably end up getting one but I don't know if it's good for a fan-heavy case like the Nine Hundred. With the large top exhaust fan, would it be better to have the airflow into the case or out of it?

The main problem I have with water cooling is that setting it up yourself can be expensive and the equipment can be large, the H50 is small and affordable and if it works well I'll probably get one.

I've really been considering the H50 but have heard mixed reviews. I'll probably end up getting one but I don't know if it's good for a fan-heavy case like the Nine Hundred. With the large top exhaust fan, would it be better to have the airflow into the case or out of it?

The main problem I have with water cooling is that setting it up yourself can be expensive and the equipment can be large, the H50 is small and affordable and if it works well I'll probably get one.

Oh it works fairly decent if you set it up right. I am convinced that any case can house this thing properly with minimal modifications.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/zip-ties-h50-radiator-232965/

There is a thread i started a few days ago when i first started twiddling with my h50. There are links to pics.

Calc,

I too heard lots of mixed reviews in regards to the H50 [I literally read hundreds of reviews and dozens of comparison charts...]. I've never owned a water cooled system so I really wanted to try it. I finally found it for under $60 and decided to take the plunge...I purchased it last week and installed it over the weekend...

To be honest with you, I do not see that much of an improvement in temps over some of the air-cooled fans I have used over the years.

Here is what I like best about it:

1. Weight-No longer have so much unnecessary weight on the MB-therefore it is safer.
2. Size-Much more room in my case and I think that leads to much better air circulation, which leads to lower overall case temps.
3. Uniqueness-now all my friends are impressed because they only have air-cooled system [not a very good reason to buy it, by the way].
4. Installation-many of the reviews stated it was terribly difficult to install. I took the advice of many posters and watched the installation video twice before starting. To be honest with you, it was a total piece of cake.

Here is what I do not like about it:

1. The temps are just about the same as my CM 212 Plus, Arctic Freezer 7, Sunbeam Core-Contact Freezer, V8, etc.

All in all, I was a little disappointed when I saw the temps. But when I began to think about the other factors such as weight, size, and uniqueness, I decided it was well worth it.

If your number one motivation in CPU cooling is cooler temps, I wouldn't recommend the H50. If the other factors such as weight, size, and uniqueness are important to you, then it is a great deal.

I also found a huge discrepancy when looking at different CPU cooler temperature comparison charts. I am not sure why that is occurring across the board. Perhaps there are other factors that people are not listing, or if not, then lots of people's noses are growing just like Pinocchio and they had best call for the woodpeckers...

Have a good one.

Soar

Attachments

• Corsair Temp Chart.JPG
    Corsair Temp Chart.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,464
  • Corsair Temp Chart 2.jpg
    Corsair Temp Chart 2.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 5,249
I think I'll go with the H50 for the size and weight reasons. I really don't like the idea of having a heavy metal thing pulling on my motherboard as the case bounces around in the car, seems like a bad idea. I also have a Nine Hundred and with the side fan I've heard many of the larger coolers don't fit. The H50 looks like it gives the same performance with a smaller sized unit and that alone makes it a great choice. It is sorta expensive but so are many air coolers so I'll probably go with the H50.

Since the Nine Hundred has all the intake fans (3x 120mm) would it make more sense to use a push-pull setup directed out of the case? The reviews I've read say to set it up as an intake at the rear which seems like a terrible idea.

Also, I know many people use other fans with the H50 and a good push-pull setup needs two identical fans. What are the best fans to use with this setup? Blue LED's would be nice but I'll take black fans if they work better/quieter. I'll most likely end up building a fan controller for all my fans so I will have control over the speed.

I would like something from Newegg, preferably clear plastic too, I really don't care what color the LED's are because when I do finally get around to it I'll be building RGB (color changing) fan controllers for each fan. Didn't you say that 75CFM was the most you could get out of the H50?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom