Looking for a high performance laptop under 1300$(Sorta)

Status
Not open for further replies.

harshytkage

Solid State Member
Hi guys,
like the title says, i'm looking for a high performance laptop( Read definition below) under 1300$( Have to exaplin the sorta part)

Restraints/Problems

1)To put it straight, i live in India. So automatically, everything gets more expensive and your options are halved simply because they're not available here, or goods aren't shipped here. (Crosses out Newegg etc.)

2) Well, my actual budget is around 60,000 INR(Indian Rupees), which is about 1300$, give or take a few.

Definition for High performance (AKA needs/requirements)

Graphics Capabilities : My needs would mostly be large amounts of audio/video editing, so i need something with a capable GPU. some amount of pure number crunching abiulity required as well.
I'm not a hardcore gamer(AKA i don't crave to play very heavy games at max settings), yes, i play the occasional FPS/RPG, but i'm mostly into RTS games. I'd like something that'd be able to play newer games at med-low quality. Of course, if the processor can do more, the better for me.

Screen Size : I'd rather not go below a 14", better to keep it in the 15-16' region.

Looks : Not a big factor, i'd actually prefer something that looks normal/cheap but is powerful inside.(since i'll be travelling i don't want it to get stolen)

My Options(Things that i came up with till now, feel free to suggest your own)

This is some stuff that i came up with while i was snooping around on the web, there are a few disrepencies that i notice(in the few dell configs that i came up with, i hope you guys can clear it up for me)

P.S. Since they were dell configs, i couldn't provide direct links to them. So i upped a PDF to google docs and i'm posting the links here, no sign-up or anything required. And i hope i'm not breaking any rules here XD)

Dell Studio 15 Config 1
https://docs.google.com/fileview?id...E4MjktZTllYWQ1YjdhMTQx&hl=en&authkey=CKG8wsMK

Dell Studio 15 Config 2
https://docs.google.com/fileview?id...E3ZTUtMDAzNjRhYmM5ZjY4&hl=en&authkey=CJ6U7-QN

Dell Studio 15 Config 3
https://docs.google.com/fileview?id...hkNGYtMjU0Zjk5NzBmZjU3&hl=en&authkey=CPiHqbEO

These three have seemingly the same major components, yet there's a price difference, i didn't check the details though.

HP Pavilion dv6-2164tx
HP Pavilion dv6-2164tx Entertainment Notebook PC (WP695PA) specifications - HP Home & Home Office products
Thing with this one is that they don't give details about the sound system, or if you can turbo the processor up to a higher clock speed, like the same processor in the dell configs)

I don't have a specific brand preference. Any with a good config that is available or ships here is welcome.

I can't thank you enough for helping me out with this! :D

P.P.S. - if it's a choice between a i5 and a superior GPU( say an ATI HD 5650 or a NVidia 230m) or a i7 and a lower end GPU (say a HD 5470) what should i go for?

Don't go with the HP DV series. They have too many problems.

I would recommend ASUS if they ship to you. Dell is OK, but not my first choice.

Thanks for replying, ASUS eh? They are present here in india, so shipping isn't a problem. I didn't check them out completely, my only fear is that like with every other manufacturer, they slash the config options in half. Dunno why they do it, i hate the fact that i'm stuck here. Hold on, i'll check and post back here with the ASUS candidates ASAP.

UPDATE: No Asus Notebooks are available which would satisfy my needs, either they're waaaay too expensive, or waaaay too weak.

P.S.- what kind of problems do the DV series have, because spec wise, they're better than the dell options, and i get accesories as well...

the HP DV series have been known to fail after its 1 year warranty. I am not sure why, but I think it is the board that fails.

As for the config, you just need to find the right laptop for you. You can change the RAM and HDD as needed.

So i'm back to square one, the dell Gpu isn't as good...and hp has a board that'll fry itself in a year. Any other options?

I know Macbooks aren't neccesarily laptops, But I recommend you get a Macbook Pro. They are capable of heavy video editing, have great graphics, and come with 200+ gigs of memory at your price. You are also going to want to buy a mouse to go with it, as using trackpads are annoying sometimes.

I first thought macs were stupid, then I tried one, and liked it alot. Another plus is that if you are into programming you can make iPod Touch/iPhone apps with it if you know C++, which will bring you alot of money if you put a little effort into it.

Good luck.

If you want to find a laptop with that good of a GPU, you are looking well above $1300. You could get a beefy self-made desktop for that price. I don't know whats available to you, but it is possible.

@OneMoreLevel - Yes, MACs are used highly in the graphic industries. They do wonders that Microsoft could only wish.Macbooks have the same thing as laptops, it's just what the Apple calls it. Might want to look into this realm as well.

The cheapest macbook pro here is 72,000 INR, and it's a 13" model, so apple goes out of the equation...
any acer/toshiba/fujitsu laptops?

I'd love to get a Desktop instead, since i'd get a lot more bang for buck, but since i'm going to college with this, i want to keep it portable(and closer to me, a desktop is just asking for user rape)

Did you ever consider a desktop and a netbook? Netbook you would take to classes, surf the net, etc. You can do your number crunchings on your desktop.

I did, but my parents aren't down with it. They say it's a laptop or nothing. Do you have any idea of online stores that would ship to india?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom