GTX465 vs 5850

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bevan

Baseband Member
Gimme your views on the GTX 465 and the 5850, thinking of buying one of them.

P.s not going to buy the 470, its a good £70 more than the 465.

p.p.s Using it for gaming

I'd go with the 5850, ATi has this generation won. I have a 5870, it's incredible and runs pretty much anything at full settings (Crysis included as long as we're talking single monitor).

ATi also has Eyefinity, which lets you use multiple monitors. I got a good deal on 3 LCD panels which make a good Eyefinity setup for "surround screen" gaming.

if i were to go Nividia, it would only be between the 470 and the 480, and since im really good at saving money id go with the 480, other wise, its Radeon all the way

Ok, so i'm now deciding on getting the 5850 or spending some more and trying to find a GTX 480 on ebay. I have to sell my drum kit to get it but I dont play them anyway.

I missed out on the biggest deal! A guy had 2 Galaxy GTX 480's up for £302 Each!! And I dont have enough money so i can't get one! How annoying..

If I go for the 5850, some people are saying I need a physX card? What does this mean, how do I install one and which is the best one I can get? I have an old 8500GT 256mb which has physX

Thanks again guys!

Ok so, 5870 vs GTX 480?

The 5870 won in crysis and 3dvantage benchmarks by about 2-4 fps each time.

Plus I really like the idea of eyefinity.

Edit: also aparrently the 480 eats PSU's, I only have 550W Purepower (good brand) so I don't think I could run the 480 GTX with it :|

I'd go with the 5870. It's cheaper than the GTX480 and supports 3 monitor Eyefinity. I have an Eyefinity setup (3x 1920x1080 21.5" LCD's) and it is great for gaming. Most games I don't really notice the (fairly thick) bezels on my monitors.

If you want Eyefinity I'd definitely say 5870 minimum, maybe I'd look into the 5970 (it's a single card that has 2 5870 GPU's slightly underclocked) but it is expensive and also eats power. The 5870 is very decent with power consumption, it uses at most 175W and has great idle power levels. The 5870 will play Crysis at full settings on a 1920x1080 monitor, but lags pretty bad with 3 of them. It's not a problem if you turn down some settings to Medium, then it plays smoothly across 3 monitors. My main game is Team Fortress 2 though, it runs fine at full settings (except AA) on 3 monitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom