Question about Graphics Card compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Th3Art0fRu1n

Beta member
I'm looking for a new graphics card. Right now my mobo is a Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4, which has PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot. I'm looking into either the Radeon HD5870 or the Radeon HD5870. Both of which use PCI-E 2.1 x16. Can I use those cards in my current mobo?

Also I have a question...does anyone know specific HD5870 or HD5850 that's a good bang for the buck? I can't seem to find anything about the fan speed so if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. Thanks!

-Harland

Both of which use PCI-E 2.1 x16. Can I use those cards in my current mobo?

yes, they are backwards compatible.

Also I have a question...does anyone know specific HD5870 or HD5850 that's a good bang for the buck? I can't seem to find anything about the fan speed so if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. Thanks!

you're like asking 2 questions at once here, can you be a little more clear? you wanna know about the best bang for buck and fan speed..?

you're like asking 2 questions at once here, can you be a little more clear? you wanna know about the best bang for buck and fan speed..?

Well I'm sort of on a budget. I can go anywhere for around $380 and $250. I'd like to go cheap as I can without sacrificing performance.
T he card I'm looking at may not be the one I actually need. I'm just looking for a good card that's good enough to be able to keep up with games like Crysis and possibly games that are going to come out in late 2010 and beyond. I'm running a Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz so I shouldn't have a problem with bottle necking. Maybe someone could help me out.

I am using a GeForce 8800GT OC and the stock fan that came with it was ridiculously loud even idling. So much so that I had to modify it with a case fan and a PCI slot fan to keep the noise and cooling adequate.
I'm just looking for something not so loud. Its not BIG deal, but I always want to consider it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom